Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr Ram Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:19 AM

My friend has a new mobo and it has 4 ram banks in it (0,1,2 & 3???). He's got 2 sticks of ram (I believe 1gb each) pc3200/ddr400 ram. Does it matter which banks he installs them in? Someone told him they should go in 0 and 2 (which would leave an empty bank inbetween them). I think they should go in 0 and 1. Which is it, or does it matter?

Also, am I right when I say (and I think I've read it on these forums someplace...) that in order to get the full speed out of pc3200/ddr400 ram (mhz speed that is) that the system should have a 800mz cpu? Is that right?

Thanks in advance for your help!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

The reason why you should put it in 0 and 2 is because those are the slots for dual channel. If you put them in 0 and 1 they will both run on the same channel. The thing is two sticks of 1gig in dual-channel runs faster then one stick of 2 gigs (wich would be like if you put them on the same channel).

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:08 AM

Hi Steve.
"Normally" it doesn't matter which ddr module goes in which bank but there are exceptions.
If he was adding to already exisiting ram modules of different sizes, some mainboards will require that those modules be placed in a certain sequence. In any case, recommended memory placement will be in the mainboards manual and should be checked.

Also, am I right when I say that in order to get the full speed out of pc3200/ddr400 ram (mhz speed that is) that the system should have a 800mz cpu? Is that right?

Sort of. The mainboard must also support an 800 mhz fsb. The two work hand-in-hand.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:16 AM

Ok, I didn't know that....but now I do! I'm assuming that a board that only has 2 banks (like mine) is still running in ddr?

What about the speed of the ram (mhz) with a 533mhz cpu? Would the ram be faster with a 800mhz fsb cpu?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

Would the ram be faster with a 800mhz fsb cpu

No, ram speed is ram speed. The memory,cpu,and mainboard all work together and determine speed.
Let's say you stuck a 800mhz fsb P4 and some ddr400 on a board that only supports a 533mhz fsb speed, the cpu and memory gets choked off due to the limitations of mobo. You gain nothing.
If you stuck in only some ddr400 on a board with a 533mhz fsb cpu, again, you gain nothing. It's being choked by the cpu.
If you stuck in some ddr333 on a system with a matching 800mhz fsb cpu and supporting mainboard, you lose speed due to the memory limitations. In other words, they should all be matched (ram,cpu,mainboard)
In your case, with a 533mhz fsb cpu, you would be using ddr266 (PC2100) and a board that supports both.
It runs as fast as it was "natively" intended. We won't go into OCing. :thumbsup:
As a side note, some boards allow you to upgrade either via bios or jumpers.

Edited by HitSquad, 19 April 2006 - 09:54 AM.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

Errrr...ok, I think I get that. Everything only runs as fast as the slowest part, more or less right?

So, with my computer I have, the mobo is capable of running a P4 3.4 800mhz. However, I only have a celeron D 2.93mhz 533fsb. My ram is ddr400/pc3200 (2 sticks of 1gb each, 1 stick in each memory bank). Would my ram be faster if I upgraded to a 800mhz fsb? From what I now understand, my cpu is choking my ram by limiting it to 533mhz. If I upgraded to a 800mhz, then my ram would speed up..... :thumbsup: ? Is that right? I think there's to many numbers being thrown around here.... :flowers:
Posted Image

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

Errrr...ok, I think I get that. Everything only runs as fast as the slowest part, more or less right?

Right! why didn't i just say that? :thumbsup:

my cpu is choking my ram

Right again, and possibly your mainboard settings as well. You're getting no benefit to the faster ram you have in there. If you decide to upgrade the cpu to get full use of that ddr400, make sure you're mainboard settings are set accordingly.
Sorry about the long winded reply.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:47 PM

No appologies needed! I appreciate your response, long or short. I think I understood everything you were saying, I just tried to explain it back to you in my own terms to see if I was right, or if I had it all screwed up!

Not to be a pain, but you said that my settings on my mobo (mainboard) might also choke the speed of the ram. I've already updated the BIOS, and now my mobo will handle up to a P4 3.4 800mhz fsb processor. So, if I upgraded to that processor (or even a P4 3.06 800mhz fsb cpu) then it would get the "max speed" out of my ram....right? That's the last question, I promise :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Right.
However, you'll need to go into the bios and set the configuration info for the new cpu. It's not going to just "see" it on it's own without a little help first. I don't know what mainboard you have but if it is fairly new it will most likely have a series "preset options" in the bios from which to choose or possibly even an "auto" setting. If not, you'll have physical jumpers on the system board instead. You can go into your cmos setup now and look to see what's up if you want, just don't save any changes when you exit.
BTW, you're never a pain :thumbsup:

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:06 AM

Thanks a lot HitSquad for taking the time to let me bombard you with questions! I sincerely appreciate it!

I think there should be a smiley that looks confused and is drooling. Yep, that would be me sometimes. Usually alternate Tuesdays.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users