Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

older desktop not "seeing" CD-DVD drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 s.eticket

s.eticket

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have an older eMachines desktop (running XP) that came with a DVD-CDR drive, then I installed a DVDR soon after. A year or so ago, the CD drive quit--it still shows up in My Computer, and troubleshooting doesn't show any errors, but the computer won't read from or write to it. Since I had the 2nd drive, I didn't worry about it. Now, the 2nd drive has quit--same symptoms. I tried updating drivers, but that didn't work, so I bought an inexpensive Samsung external USB-DVDR drive. Same thing. The drive works fine on my newer desktop (Windows 7), but the older desktop "sees" it, says it's working correctly, shows it as updated and installed, but won't read from or write to it. If I try to just double-click or drag something to the new "Drive K," I get an error message that the CD drive is "inaccessible." I'm at a loss. Of course, I can't install anything from the drive's CD, because I can't get any CDs to read! However, when I plugged in the USB, it installed fine on both desktops, at least according to the troubleshooter.

Any suggestions?

New Samsung is: Samsung 8x Slim DVD+/-RW Slim USB External Drive, Black SE-208DB/TSBS (said it's good for XP, 7, and 8)

I'm at work now so I don't have any more particulars on the desktop, I'm sorry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Try this.  

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/

#3 s.eticket

s.eticket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

I appreciate mainer21's suggestion, and it took me awhile to get to this solution. However, Fix-It claims none of my drives can write CDs (all of them SHOULD be able to write CDs, and 2 of them can write DVDs), and when I went back to see if I could get them to at least read CDs, Fix-It claimed none of the CDs were readable. Since one of the older drives worked before we moved the computer, and the new USB drive works fine on my newer desktop, I really don't think this is a problem with all 3 drives. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated! Thank you!

#4 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Try this fix.It is the third entry down the page.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/p/19458742/20149759.aspx

Edited by mainer21, 27 July 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#5 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

The third post on the page. Sorry about that.

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer s.eticket! You probably have a couple of different problems here. First off, since you have an older computer and the internal drives have exhibited problems a year or so apart, I'd think this is simply hardware failure. Since the external optical drive doesn't work correctly on your XP machine, you certainly have a Windows problem as well. But taking Windows out of the picture is where you need to begin.

What I'd suggest is using your Win7 computer to make a bootable CD for Puppy Linux. If you are able to boot from the Puppy Linux LiveCD, then you know your hardware is at least basically functional. Also, if you can boot from the LiveCD, you should be able to read any drive connected to your computer. So, if your drives all work in Linux, you have a trashed Windows installation. If your drives don't work in Linux, you know you have a hardware problem.

What I think you're going to find is that you have two internal optical drives that are non-functional, and a Windows installation that requires repair or re-installation. 

Edited by slgrieb, 29 July 2013 - 10:02 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users