Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Hate It When I Do This...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rani9

rani9

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:00 AM

Compaq FS740, 256 Mb RAM, Intel Celeron (1.4 Ghz, I think), WinXP SP1, Windows Installer 3.1

This computer belongs to a non-profit organization that I've been helping, to a limited degree, ie: cleaning up the hard drive; running virus, spyware, and other crudware scans; doing complete uninstalls of programs they no longer want, etc.

After some attention, this machine runs very well, but a problem has come up that's completely out of my league: The organization recently got a MS Works 2004 Suite, which includes MS Word 2002. The user had installed Works and Word, as that was all she needed. She was using Word, but said she had problems sometimes; 1) messages saying Word wasn't installed; 2) a message that said the program she wanted was on a CD, please insert disk; 3) replays of these messages, especially upon powering up, that she had to cancel 7 to 12 times.

My only thought was to uninstall Works and Word, clean up leftover junk, and then reinstall. I attempted that, and, while Works did install, Word did not. I've tried more than once, and always get a message to this effect: Installation patch cannot be opened. Then I'm told to use an msi file (on the hard drive, I think), from which I may be able to install the program.

I have no idea what the msi file is, and, if it was on the hard drive at one time, I'm sure it's no longer there. It must have been evicted. along with everything else when I did the uninstall.

I put AbiWord on the computer, and the user is satisfied with that, but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me if there's a cure for the MS Word problem. Thanks for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:27 AM

This is a little off subject but why don't you install Service Pack 2?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

SP2, in addition to installing a tremendous amount of security updates, also addresses some installation problems, possibly like the one you are experiencing.

You need to download not only SP2 at this time, but numerous others offered since SP2 was released. Set the computer to download and install Critical Updates automatically for a time you know the computer will be on the internet, then download (or install SP2 from cd if you have it accessable) the updates you are missing immediately.

Then try reloading Word, and any value added aps. (explore the installation cd).
Was it a stand alone copy of Word or was it the Office Suite?

#4 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

Thanks to both of you Klinkaroo and Enthusiast. Believe it or not, I had wondered about SP2 also. When I installed SP2 on my machine, I had no problems, but read about others who did. I suppose I put my brakes on, because I didn't want to mess up somebody else's computer. The thoughts about SP2 do seem most appropriate and logical, tho. Maybe I should give it a go. Thanks again.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

If it is not minded I would like to offer a suggestion. In the fist post the member states that the computer is owned by a non-profit organization. I am not a lawyer but the responsibility for having this fixed is the IT department for this non-profit org. Unless you want a lot of trouble I would make sure you have permission in writing from this organization to work on their computer. If you do not and it gets goofed up you and anybody here will or might be held responsible.

Just a suggestion.

#6 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Good point, ThorXP. I never thought about trouble for anyone in the forums. To be on the safe side, I won't mention any forums by name, and I will get in touch with the person responsible for maintaining this org's computer. I've been working on it strictly as a volunteer, and just recently met the person who is supposed to do the work. I'll get in touch with him, and tell him I feel inadequate to tackle SP2. Thanks for your response.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

The primary thing about SP2 is that there must not be any malware on the machine and that SP2 compliant updates be done for programs and peripherals on the computer first.

Microsoft - Steps to take before SP 2 installation

These are the steps you are advised to take before installing SP2:

1. Back up all your data.

2. Check out the Web site of your hardware manufacturers to see if SP2-related software updates are available for download.

3. Purge your system of all spyware and adware you may have accumulated.

From Microsoft:
Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default....wsxpsp2

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

I would suggest running AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy BEFORE you install SP2.
Download, install, update and run
*AdAware SE: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

*Spybot S&D (make sure "Teatimer is enabled and your computer"Immunized" after updating definitions):
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Also download, install, update and run the Microsoft Windows Defender:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx
This provides realtime protection. (absolutely necessary)

Do you have a dialup or a broadband connection?
Microsoft offers a free CD to install SP 2 and if you are on a dialup it is highly recommended.(shipping charge applies)

In fact, even using broadband, it is a large file and you may get better results and an easier install using the CD.

Order it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows....lt.mspx

If you encounter difficulties or have questions, call 888-SP2-HELP for assistance.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy
Microsoft Policy
Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Steps to take before installing SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/pro...ice-pack-2.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 April 2006 - 11:11 AM.

#8 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

Wow. Thanks again, Enthusiast. I'm going to keep your post real handy. Whether someone else, or both of us, does the SP2 installation, it's great to have all that information right out in front, where we can see it.

I'm definitely no expert on computers, but I did get interested in how to remove garbage from the hard drive and keep it gone. The results have been great for me (and for a few other people I've helped). But I've also heard, from those who know a lot more than I, that "computers are just like people." Meaning you never know what to expect, I guess, and that makes your post even more appreciated.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

I've only had problems installing SP2 one time, and I've installed it quite a number of times. In that case, I had to uninstall it, find the malware that was causing the problem, then re-install SP2 and it went fine.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

I have had some problems with programs not working properly after installing SP2. But Herk is right, make SURE your computer is clean of all malicious software first! SP2 won't install correctly in an infected machine.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#11 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

I appreciate hearing from you, Herk and Albert Frankenstein (love that name, by the way). I agree that disk is the way to go for SP2, as it definitely is a big deal. I'll get in touch with the org's official computer maintenance person, and let him know what I've learned. Thanks so much to everyone!

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download.

I use a disk I made from the download. Just stick 'er in the drive and double-click on the file. It's a good idea even if you only have one computer to put it on, considering that you might have to do it again. :-)

#13 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

I, too, have a disk I made from the download, as I had heard MS wasn't going to come out with a disk. At the time, I had only a dialup connection, but I found a freeware download manager, and did the download little by little, for about 7 days. Then, since MS did come out with a disk, after all, I got a copy of it, too. Talk to you later, and thanks again.

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

After SP2 is installed, there are still about 40 or so updates to get.

Start > All Programs > Windows Update

It may take 3 or more visits to that site to get them all.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#15 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:38 AM

There are also a couple places that have pulled together all the post SP2 updates, and they continue with newer updates as they become available. One is...

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=432780

Another is...

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users