Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Windows Classic Theme.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:52 AM

I seem to have trouble running the Windows Classic Theme. Everytime I do it I get random error messages while I am on the net. And when I restart the computer my sound seems to not work sometimes and a error message says Generic Host process for Win32 Services something ruther. But now since I have changed back the the Windows XP Theme it seems just fine. I am wanting it on Windows Classic because it takes less resources and I can run more things. Do you have any ideas of how to fix this because it would really help me. Oh by the way I researched the problem and found a hotfix and installed it but I am still receiving the errors and stuff.
William Montgomery Walters

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

Do you have SP2 and all subsequent updates including the updates for Internet Explorer?

Also - please give us the exact error code that you get when using Internet Explorer. "Generic Host process for Win32 Services something ruther" is not a valid, descriptive Windows error code and doesn't tell us what's causing the errror or how to even look where to fix it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 April 2006 - 09:14 AM.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Also on this finding out what version of windows and other system stats might be really helpful. Could you please supply as much of this as possible?

#4 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

Sorry about that. I have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This is the best I can do for the error message because I have not recieved it anymore since I have changed to Windows XP Theme. But I really want to have the Classic theme to save resources considering I only have 500 mhz for processor speed. If you need further information I will try to get it for you.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

Are you lucky enough to have anything from Semantic like norton Security or other Norton Products installed it could be a problem with those products. There are other things that could cause this problem but this is as good a place to start as can be.

before3e we start I would ask you to go back to the Classic Theme and get the error message and copy it down and send it in. An easier way of copying it is as follows:

When you are getting the error message you target the error box by left clicking in it on a blank area, not a button like close or ok but just a blank area. This will activate the box

The next thing you do is hold down the ALT key and while you are holding that key down press the Print Scrn button then release the ALT button.

It will look like nothing happened but it did happen you just copied that error screen to the clipboard.

Next you open Wordpad by clicking on Start then Run and type into the window Wordpad and click OK.

When Wordpad opens up you left click in the White window and then Hold down the CTRL key and press the letter V key. This pastes the error message into the window.

click File then save as and name the file and save it. It should be save to My Documents on Drive C.

the clipboard still has the picture on it so you get back on line and the back to BC and this forum and paste the error message into this forum. You saved the file so if you have to go to another computer to send it to us just take it to the other computer.

I am sorry that this is so long and I have not typed this much in a long time but we do need the error message.

#6 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

Sorry but I can't give you the error message but what I gave you. That is exactly what it says for the title the rest of it really won't help you. It just says what it will do and what it will send. The only thing I can give you of use is that I use Zone Alarm Security Suite. I have told you in the previous message the exact error message title and also I don't get the error anymore because I am not using the windows classic theme anymore. I am sorry I am being so strict but that is all I can do. I guess I am just going to have to deal with the Windows XP theme and use more resources.

#7 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

If you can see that now if that will help those are my computer specifications with a little more for my signature. But I highly dout that will help anything.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

I am sorry but your problem is not going to get fixed properly with out an error message that can be used. Apparently you either refuse to get the error or the problem has fixed itself. I do not see how it can be properly fixed. I am sorry that you will not let me adequately help you

#9 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

Ok now for the MILLIONTH time. I do not recieve this error message anymore that is because of the fact I have changed my theme to Windows XP. I only recieve the ERROR in the Windows Classic theme. Whereas and therefore I am not recieving this error anymore. And since I do not recieve this error anymore I can not provide it to you. So to end the trouble that you or I am giving I am just going to stick to the Windows XP theme now tell me if that will help. I am quite sure that if I do go back to the Windows Classic theme though and I recieve this error if you want to get some knowledge of the error I get and how to fix it then I would be glad to give it to you. But untill I go to the Windows Classic theme I can not provide you the error I get as well as some other errors I get when I am in the Windows Classic theme. If you feel that you still don't have enough information which you have more than enough to figure out that I don't have the error message because I am not in the Windows Classic theme then you will not have to worry about it. Just remember I don't recieve this error because I am not in the Windows Classic theme anymore therefore I don't recieve the error instead I have a error free envirement through the Windows XP theme. I thank you for your understanding and this is the last message for my post because I have corrected my problem. I feel that runnning the Windows XP theme is not all that resource consuming after all. Thank you and have a good day.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

Ok now for the MILLIONTH time...

Doesn't seem like a nice way to treat someone who is trying to help you AT YOUR REQUEST and for free I might add.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#11 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

Well sorry about that Albert Frankenstein but as you can see. I have said it for quite a bit of times. And usally anyone gets mad after having to repeat the same thing over and over again.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:36 PM

If you want help to get it fixed, change the setting back to Windows Classic so you can get the error message accurately or stay with the XP Theme and let the thread die - your choice.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 April 2006 - 02:37 PM.

#13 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

I think getting a system moderator to close this thread is the thing to do. Apparently this person does not want to get this fixed seeing as this person refuses to put the computer back to where we all ask so we can get the error message. If they do not follow requests made of them it is impossible to help them and keeping it going wastes bandwidth and time.

Mr. Moderator please shut this thread down = close it Please.

Thank you

#14 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

Yes go ahead Mr. Moderator oh my gosh. Why not just tell him to do it. Actually I will. I started this post anyway. Usally the people that want the posts closed are the people that opened them. And since I am just going to stick to Windows XP theme. If I choose to go back to the Windows Classic theme I will just have microsoft fix it. I don't want to have their support for no apparent reason.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

At Willmon18's request this topic is now closed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users