Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc /scannow failing to repair files (sfcdetails.txt inside)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 BCMusic

BCMusic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I followed Microsoft's advice on how to interpret the logfile generated by SFC. It required loading the CBS.log and outputting the SFC details within it to another separate log file. I've attached the file below.

Attached Files

Edited by BCMusic, 19 July 2013 - 11:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Did you just run sfc /scannow...without a MS Genuine Win 7 DVD?

Inability to access the proper/correct file...is the only situation in which I can imagine sfc /scannow would report inability to repair/replace any system file.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

There is a limited cache of files to replace damaged one.  If one of the files corrupted isn't in the cache you may need your installation disc to make repairs.

There is a good article for the options for running sfc /scannow at the SevenForums regarding your options with this scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 BCMusic

BCMusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

@Hamluis - I admit, I did obtain an ISO, but only in a desperate attempt to repair my broken system. I'm running out of options and had no other choice. I needed it because my installation media is missing (I'm still in the process of locating it) and I figured it would have helped. I've posted a couple threads in the Virus forum for a Win32\Expiro infection. This virus has corrupted many files that are critical to the functioning of the operating system (specifically explorer.exe and svchost.exe, but there are a few others that are not so critical as well.) Microsoft Security Essentials detected these files as infected and decided to clean/quarantine them without confirmation. It advised me to restart the system afterwards to finish cleaning the infection. However, in doing so, the system (was) rendered un-bootable (I've since fixed the boot issue, and not by using the ISO. I believe I did a reg restore with FRST.) Regardless, this was only done in a desperate attempt at replacing the infected system files. I understand the views on such an action, and I agree with them, however in my particular situation, re-installing the OS is simply not an option, except as a last resort (of course I must find my disc first.). I apologize, but I literally had no choice. If you're wondering why I don't have backups, it's funny you would ask. I was about to purchase a 2TB drive for just that reason. Hilarious how these things work out.

@Arachibutyrophobia - Thanks for the information.

Edited by BCMusic, 19 July 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

@ BCMusic -

You still have an open topic in Malware Removal Forum area ...........

Please ask your questions there, and you should not be doing anything unless directed by your helper -

Thank You -

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

MRL Topic
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501405/infected-with-expiro-system-is-quickly-deteriorating/page-3
Please stay with the MRL topic. Do only as instructed there.
This is closed
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users