Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error no such partition grub rescue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hello. I managed to mess up my netbook and I need some help. I have an acer netbook that came pre-installed with xp and linux dual booting. There is no optical drive, just 2 recovery partitions. one for each OS. I was trying to do a restore to factory settings for the xp partition, by using Acer eRecovery Management. I ran it and at reboot I got the error message:

error no such partition

grub rescue.

What has actually happened and what can I do? Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

From what I was able to find it appears that you need to repair the MBR (Master Boot Record).  This can be done vis the Recovery Console.  The problem now is that you don't have a XP disc supplied with this computer since it has the recovery partitions, but you can go to this website and use their information to make a disc for accessing the Recovery Console.

You can use the instructions at this website to repair the MBR once you have accessed the Recovery Console.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

The problem is that the netbook doesn't have an optical drive. How can I do it from a flash drive?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Arrrgh!  I didn't think notebook.

You should be able to do this from a flash drive if the BIOS supports booting from a USB device.  You would need to change the boot order so that the USB device is the first device in the boot order.  Plug in the flash drive and start the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks again for the help. What I did: Downloaded a linux bistro (I used Mint but any should do). Made a bootable flash drive by using this application. In Bios environment I put the usb flash on top of boot order. I booted in Mint from the "live cd" (on the usb). I opened the terminal and typed the following commands:

sudo apt-get install lilo

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Shut down the PC, removed the flash drive and restarted. I was able to complete the recovery I had initiated before the issue occurred. :)

However, I don't get anymore the option at start up of dual booting. It boots straight to XP. If anyone knows how I can fix this it would be of great help.

I have no knowledge of linux, and  it was an issue of XP, otherwise I would have posted it in another section.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Do you still see both partitions?

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Do you still see both partitions?

I see four partitions in windows:

One is windows, two is windows recovery, three is unknown (I suppose something that has to do with linux, grub or recovery) and the last appears to be empty, which is probably where linux is installed, but can't be recognized by windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users