Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There is an IP address conflict with another system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 murru

murru

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

Dear all,

Today when I woke up I started having internet connection issues on my DELL laptop running windows XP. Even though it was connected to the network, the laptop took really slow connecting to some webpages, or did not connect at all. At the same time my tablet did connect to all the same webpages. After I reset my router the webpages loaded on my laptop again.

However, after a few minutes several webpages started loading really slow and I got the following message: “There is an IP address conflict with another system” in my system tray.

After I renew the IP address the internet works again for a minute or so, but then it stops working, and sometimes the same “IP address conflict” message appears randomly again. I have no idea what is going on with my laptop.

In the properties of my Wireless Network Connection, in the TCP/IP settings, the options that are selected are:

• obtain IP address automatically
  • obtain DNS server address automatically

Do any of you have an idea what could be wrong? I would really appreciate your help.

Regards,

M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Run %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe to get the command prompt window.

Then type: ipconfig /all

Do this to every PC connected on your LAN (Local Area Network) side on the router to get all the IP config.

IP Address must be different for each PC on the router.

Edited by Crazy Cat, 19 July 2013 - 05:48 AM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#3 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

That will work to find where the conflict is, but to resolve this, in the command prompt window, run the command ipconfig /release, wait for that to complete, and then run the command ipconfig /renew. This will assign a new ip address for the pc it is run on, and resolve the ip address conflict. To avoid this in the future, you can download an application called angryipscanner, scan your network for an unused ip address, and assign this as your static ip address that will not change. ( this would be done in the networkconfiguration page from control panel, and then selecting the properties of the adapter, and then selecting the properties of the tcp\ip v4 option.)

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

That will work to find where the conflict is, but to resolve this, in the command prompt window, run the command ipconfig /release, wait for that to complete, and then run the command ipconfig /renew. This will assign a new ip address for the pc it is run on, and resolve the ip address conflict. To avoid this in the future, you can download an application called angryipscanner, scan your network for an unused ip address, and assign this as your static ip address that will not change. ( this would be done in the network configuration page from control panel, and then selecting the properties of the adapter, and then selecting the properties of the tcp\ip v4 option.)

Or just set all the PC's network adapters on the LAN to automatic.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#5 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

Dear Crazy Cat and Jkostar,

Thank you for your quick response.

Run %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe to get the command prompt window.

Then type: ipconfig /all

Do this to every PC connected on your LAN (Local Area Network) side on the router to get all the IP config.

IP Address must be different for each PC on the router.

I only have a total of 1 laptop, and 1 tablet running on this network. Therefore there should be no conflicting IP addresses in theory right?

That will work to find where the conflict is, but to resolve this, in the command prompt window, run the command ipconfig /release, wait for that to complete, and then run the command ipconfig /renew. This will assign a new ip address for the pc it is run on, and resolve the ip address conflict. To avoid this in the future, you can download an application called angryipscanner, scan your network for an unused ip address, and assign this as your static ip address that will not change. ( this would be done in the networkconfiguration page from control panel, and then selecting the properties of the adapter, and then selecting the properties of the tcp\ip v4 option.)

I have renewed the IP address on the laptop several times but the message “There is an IP address conflict with another system” still reappeared in the system tray after some time.

I am not sure how to go from here? I hope you can help me.

Regards,

M.

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

Install an application on your laptop that shows your complete network topography as a 'Network Map' of all PCs and network adapters connected to the router's LAN side.

Netgear Genie. Netgear Genie is designed to be used with NETGEAR routers but basic features also work with other routers. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/netgeargenie.html
Screen shot. http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/netgeargenie.htm

Another is the The Dude. network mapping and monitoring. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/thedude.html
Screen shot. http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/thedude.htm

Nmap Security Scanner. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/nmap.html
Screen shot. http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/nmap.htm

Furthermore, is your wireless router connection secure?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users