Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD with GPU inside PCI slot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hzartos

hzartos

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

I decided to finally purchase a new computer, but also installing my own GPU and PSU.

I got the computer itself in the mail, took it a part and everything worked fine. I installed my GPU drivers, and immediately got a BSOD.

Funny thing is, whenever I configure the BIOS to boot using the OnBoard graphics, it works fine. I then can disable my OnBoard graphics, then it will force the PC to use my Nvidia GTX 550 TI.

Yet when I configure the BIOS to start up with my PCI slot, it blue screens.

Any ideas? Ive tried to Re-Install windows, but it ends up doing the same thing. Thinking of just returning the PC all together since I have a 1 year warranty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the BC forum.

Can you please post the exact make and model number of your motherboard, graphic card and RAM ? . 

Did you tried the latest Nvidia driver instead of the default one came with the card ?

#3 hzartos

hzartos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

Yes I have the latest Nvidia driver, 320 version, and ill get you the other information right now.

RAM is at 3.6, no idea why its not at 4 but I plan on getting another 4gig ram stick to top it off to 8.

This seems to be my PC right here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227477

I believe its a GIGABYTE motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2

Graphics card is GTX 550 TI Nvidia

I still have no idea whats causing the problem. Computer is working fine but I hate knowing theres a problem with it :(

Thanks for the help btw :)

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hi

Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Make sure the SMPS is from a reputed brand and it is at least 500 watt in capacity.

:step2: Download and install latest BIOS for your Motherboard from the below link.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4311#bios

After updating , load default values in BIOS

Download and save Chipset , Audio , and LAN driver to an external media or another partitions than C drive.

:step3: Re-install the OS from scratch (Graphics card should be plugged in ). If you are planning to upgrade the RAM, make sure the version of Windows 7 is 64 bit and it should include SP1.

:step4: Install Drivers in the following order. Don't install any applications.

Chipset --> LAN -- > Audio --> Graphics card driver.

While installing the Nvidia driver, choose custom (advanced ) and deselect everything except display driver and Physx.

cleaninstallnvidia.jpg 

Check whether you are getting BSOD or not. If it boots to desktop successfully, play some high definition movies to stress test the system.

Report your findings in next reply.

#5 hzartos

hzartos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

See heres another weird thing. I tried to reformat my hard drive, but when i reconfigure the bios to boot off of the cd-drive, it doesnt work.

As in, it just boots like normal.

Ive tried everything youve listed except the Nvidia drivers. I just did a clean install instead of the way you described, will try it now however.

EDIT : Same thing still. :(

Is it a bit weird if I need to disable the on-board graphics card for it to work? Once I disable the on-board graphics card, computer goes to my GTX 550 and starts to work normally. I just have to re-enable then disable the integrated graphics card everytime I start up :(

Edited by hzartos, 21 July 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi

Looks like either your Graphics card or Motherboard is faulty. I suggest replacing them under warranty immediately.

#7 hzartos

hzartos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Ok will do that, thanks for the heads up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users