Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Wireless Adapter Model Wrt54g Driving Me Nuts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PushKat

PushKat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:39 AM

First of all, thank you in advance for reading this. I'm reaching my wit's end and running out of computer types to consult.

I've come here after two weeks w/o internet (this is a friend's computer) and an absolutely maddening series of several lengthy phone calls with Linksys techs, as well as a DLink tech (our router brand) and Best Buy, who refused to accept a return or exchange of this adapter a couple of days after the return date. No one can help me, I'm losing valuable work-at-home time, I'm stuck with a new adapter I can't use or get support for, I'm paying for internet service I can't use, and I'm on too much of a budget to waltz out and buy a new adapter.

During the course of my discussions with the Linksys techs, we did every sort of manual and auto reconfiguration imaginable, as well as unplugging and plugging back in, restarting, uninstalling, etc. etc. Several hours on the phone. Literal hours.

I moved two weeks ago. Before I moved I bought the adapter (beginning of March). There was a little trouble connecting at the previous address but via some answers in various online forums and with the help of a Linksys tech was able to tweak, configure, and connect. It worked fine until I disassembled everything and moved.

The Adapter Model is: Linksys WUSB54G Wireless-G USB Adapter (sorry...it's early here and I put the wrong model # in the topic heading). My OS is Windows ME. I don't have a firewall. The router is by DLink.

At my new place - right around the corner and with the same computer, etc. (nothing has changed but my location), I have NOT been able to get anything but a very strong signal - nothing anyone does to help me enables me to connect! My roomie is online no problem. I know that my adapter works...it's new and was working fine two short weeks ago. Please help me, and please know that I've done all of the basic stuff re: checking this problem about ten thousand times. I'm starting to lose some serious (in my economy) money and work time because of this situation, and it's beginning to affect me badly professionally!

I will be checking my email catch-as-catch-can. Again, thank you so very much for your help.

:thumbsup:

Edited by PushKat, 19 April 2006 - 04:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:06 AM

Got to the Device Manager and un-install your USB NIC while it is still plugged in. Then go to the Add/Remove Programs and remove all the Linksys software. Now delete your USB bus. restart and let windows re-install the USB bus. If you are prompted to restart do so. If not restart anyways. Once your booted install the Linksys software for your USB NIC.
I never cared for USB. I find it Voodoo sicence at best and unreliable.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 PushKat

PushKat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thank you! I'll try it as soon as I get home, and will let you know what happened either from my own computer or when I have access to internet again...if it doesn't work, I'll post as much this afternoon. If it does, it'll be the best birthday present I'll get today!

Edited by PushKat, 19 April 2006 - 08:48 AM.

#4 PushKat

PushKat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

Sorry about the belated reply...my roommate's router broke on the same day that applied your changes. No internet access readily available! I will report back as soon as I have an opportunity to implement your suggested changes. Thank you again.

#5 PushKat

PushKat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:06 PM

tried your suggestions...no luck. Could it be a configuration something? Maybe the previous info I got re: manual settings was inaccurate? Any suggestions regarding what I could do configuration-wise?

#6 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:14 PM

First thing I would suggest it plugging it in to your friends computer to see if it can connect there. It may be that the card just died on you...

Try putting the usb stick in a different usb port. (sometimes they are picky about where they are)

Is the wireless network encrypted?

You say it detects the signal but cannot connect? Do you get any kind of error message? What is the IP address you get? (start > run > cmd > 'ipconfig')

Also, although it is a very remote possiblity, do you have anything near your computer that you didnt before suchs as wireless phones, florecent lighting, etc... I've heard these things can occasionally mess with wireless signals though I've never actually seen it myself.

#7 PushKat

PushKat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions, but after another significant - and fruitless - chunk of time fiddling with the 2nd Linksys Adapter (same model) I bought, I reached my tipping point and just went out and bought a D-Link Wireless AirPlus G...$20 less and it was up and running beautifully in five minutes.

My machine apparently doesn't appreciate that Linksys adapter. If there was a config issue, it was bigger than anything a roomful of Linksys techs could handle. Call after call after hair-pulling call...

Thank you so much, Bleeping Computerites. You're the tops.

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

as an afterthought , if your linksys router is a version 5, (noted on the bottom of the router), linksys has a firmware update for the v-5 wrt54g routers. this is an especially important firmware update because the release version was majorly flawed. once v-5 wrt54g routers have their firmware updated, they once again work like a reliable linksys router should!
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users