Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Installation plagued with problems the entire time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 retrowire

retrowire

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hello everyone! I've got an issue occurring whilst trying to repair my niece's Inspiron 1545 Dell laptop.

Well I'll start from the beginning, she once had a terrible malware virus that really corrupted her computer. She couldn't browse the web safely, as the browser would redirect her to terrible websites and prompt her with many ads. Eventually the computer started crashing and showing BSOD and eventually the computer just can't boot without showing a BSOD.

She tried system restore: Nothing. She tried factory reset: Nothing.

So she's brought the computer to me, I've reformatted the HDD and now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit onto her computer. Everything looks great except that we've given it 2 attempts and at this very moment we're on our 3rd attempt.

So what's happening? We've ran into a plethora of hiccups during the installation process. 

On the screen where Windows 7 was installing itself and we had: 

Copying Windows Files...
Expanding Windows Files...
Installing Features...
Installing Updates...
Completing Installation...

We get past the first 4 steps with flying colors, the computer restarts itself and proceeds to continue with step five; Completing Installation... During this part the computer seized with a BSOD and then restarted, I'm given the option to start Windows normally so I do that as it's all I can think to do, the computer continues at the last step and begins the setup process as normal! Whew! We thought we were in the clear though I was suspicious because it's working on the third try with no explanation of why? Then at the end of that, the computer seemed hung up on "Finalizing your settings" it got through that and then suddenly...

"Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart in one minute, please save your work now."

Weird, so the computer restarts and boom we're at a log in screen like the computer is perfectly fine. Weird again... We log in with the SN and PW and wait a while, it's been really slow through this whole process. The desktop finally happens and THEN...

"Windows Explorer has stopped working"

It tried restarting Windows Explorer twice and then it eventually gave up and asked if I wanted to close Windows Explorer, I obliged because I figured it may restart itself again but nope, we now have an empty desktop wallpaper with no toolbar.

So I held down the power button and restarted the computer manually.

The computer boots up normally, we enter the SN and PW again and the screen says "Welcome" it loads, it fades to black and freezes...

Update 1: We've restarted the computer in safe mode and I was able to load a copy of MalwareBytesPRO onto it, I started a full scan and MalwareBytesPRO froze at 40 seconds in. The mouse is still movable though...

I did the ol' ctrl alt del move during this, the screen tried to load it and then I got this error message in a window:

"The instruction at 0x000007FEFC1D5474 referenced memory at 0x000007FEFC1D5474. The required memory was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185"

and now we have a black screen.

Update 2: I began to wonder if it was something wrong with the RAM. So I've taken the 4 gbs of (probably) corrupted RAM out of this laptop and replaced it with a good 3 gbs of RAM from another laptop. While preparing the desktop a window error popped up and said:

Winmail.exe - Bad Image- and wouldn't you know it, the screen fades to black as I'm trying to write it down here... D: Darn.

Update 3: I'm on the desktop again, it's capable of picking up the wifi signal in the house and suddenly again, Windows Explorer has crashed. I'm beginning to want to know how to diagnose and fix this habit of Windows Explorer crashing as that seems to be the main problem now.

We've been plagued with problems this entire process. Does anyone have a clue what might be the problem? I wonder if it's a hardware issue but I know all this was started by a nasty malware virus so I find it hard to accept that it's hardware related alone. Still though the HDD has been reformatted so the virus can't still be there can it? It's just at this point, I'm at a loss for conclusions, would anyone else have any experience with this issue? Thanks for any help.

Further information, the virus was existent on the computer for about a year prior to this repair attempt if that makes any difference.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 July 2013 - 10:10 PM.
Moved to Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 retrowire

retrowire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Today I'll be swapping back in the old RAM and trying to reinstall Windows 7 with only one 2 gb stick of RAM installed at a time to see if only one of the sticks is corrupted. I'd appreciate any advice along the way as I'm not quite sure this RAM is the issue alone.

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Dell PC Diagnostics. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/diagnostics

How to restore your Windows 7 computer to factory settings. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362066

Manual. http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1545_user's%20guide_en-us.pdf

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#4 retrowire

retrowire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

While I appreciate your help, 2 out of 3 of these suggestions have been attempted already and the first suggestion is impossible due to the fact that Windows Explorer cannot be maintained on the system for longer than 2 minutes. Thanks for the suggestions though.

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

How to restore your Windows 7 computer to factory settings. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362066
Manual. http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1545_user's%20guide_en-us.pdf

While I appreciate your help, 2 out of 3 of these suggestions have been attempted already and the first suggestion is impossible due to the fact that Windows Explorer cannot be maintained on the system for longer than 2 minutes. Thanks for the suggestions though.

If I recall correctly, Dell has a BIOS PC Hardware Diagnostics??

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#6 retrowire

retrowire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

If I recall correctly, Dell has a BIOS PC Hardware Diagnostics??

Hmm, where do I go about that process? And if this requires the evaluation and inspection of Dell's own staff I cannot do it because the warranty had expired on the laptop in 2011.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

The obvious questions that come to my mind...

Have you run a diagnostic on the hard drive?

Origin of the media used to attempt reinstall of Windows 7?

Louis

OP posted new topic, since moved to AII.