Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced Vista with XP and now have no sound

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Twinmum

Twinmum

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Seems I need a little more help still.

I have replaced Vista with XP on our computer. I first had trouble getting it to connect to the internet, but thanks to X here, that problem has been resolved. Now I find that we have no sound. I'm assuming it's due to the lack of a driver, but...

The computer is a HP Pavilion P6060A Home PC -product number #NC856AA#ABG

When I go into the device manager, it says that all the items under sound, video and game controllers are working correctly, but if I go to the volume control, it says there are no active mixer devices available

The computer was purchased with everything istalled, so there were no driver CD's and the backup CD's we were prompted to make would take it back to a Vista instalation.

This is from my device manager, as you can see, all the sound devices seem ok, but the ones in other devices are not installed.

drivers_zps6e3bb7b6.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

You need to download and install the Vista compatible chipset driver from HP

#3 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

wouldn't it be an XP compatible chipset driver as that is what I have running on it?

#4 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

Would this be what i want?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-42431-1

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3888584

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Crazy Cat, HP do not provide XP drivers for that system

Twinmum, there isn't much identifying information with that SoftPaq, but it seems likely to be what you're looking for.

It would also be worthwhile finding a suitable video driver, is the system equipped with a video card (DVI and HDMI connectors) or is it using the onboard video (DVI and VGA connectors)?

Edited by Platypus, 19 July 2013 - 07:28 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Crazy Cat, HP do not provide XP drivers for that system

I know. The link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3888584 has a drop-down for the OS allowed.

If you can't find the drivers here http://www.driversact.com/category-hp/hp-pavilion-p6060a.html then it's futile.

Edited by Crazy Cat, 19 July 2013 - 07:46 AM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

wouldn't it be an XP compatible chipset driver as that is what I have running on it?

Sorry, yes. I read your post backward (thought it said you replaced XP with Vista). Not all Vista systems are compatible with XP. You need to check with HP to see if the provide XP drivers. If not, you'll need to go back to Vista or W7

Edited by Allan, 19 July 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

XP drivers are not specifically provided by HP for the p6060a, however it's often just a matter of sourcing suitable alternative drivers from HP or the chipset/hardware manufacturer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01274160&cc=nz&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3888584

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

If you cannot find drivers that work for XP you have 2 choices:

Go back to Vista 

OR

Keep XP. Purchase a sound card, install it and the drivers, hook your speakers to the sound card. Sound cards vary in price but you should be able to find one for a good price and is a very easy DIY install.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 July 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#11 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

All the sound devices are not OK. There is no sound card. I presume one of the yellow question marked items is mislabeled and is your sound card.

Let's do what we did in your other thread about your NIC device...

One at a time, go into device manager and double click one of the yellow question marked items.

Go to the details tab.

Highlight each where it says PCI\ven and press CTRL-C.

Paste (CTRL-V) that in to your next reply. With the name of the yellow question mark item followed by the PCI\ven item.

Like this...

SM Bus Controller -  PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_06\4&8BA56E8&0&00E6

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's not likely that one of the devices with the yellow symbol is associated with anything sound related UNLESS the unknown PCI device is an installed sound card. None of the others have nothing to do with sound. There are other things that the card could be for. I have NEVER seen any mislabled UNKNOWN devices.

The image clearly shows that sound drivers are installed. They just are not XP supported drivers.

If you are so inclined, there is one thing you can try. In Device Manager RIGHT click on Legacy Audio Devices. Choose UNINSTALL. Confirm that you want to uninstall the drivers, click OK. You will be prompted to reboot.

Windows should find the device and install generic Windows drivers. You will be told when the process is done and whether the drivers were successfully installed via a small pop up in the system tray next to the clock.  While it's always best to use the manufacturer drivers Windows generic drivers will do in a pinch. It's also possible that drivers currently installed are the generic drivers. You haven't said if you installed the drivers from the HP site. If not is almost a certainty that the generic ones are what is currently installed.

If they were installed see if you have sound. Keep in mind this may not work since you want to install XP drivers on a device that only supports Vista and higher.

I do have a "just in case" question: are your speakers hooked up close to the top of the case or closer to the bottom of the case?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#13 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Sorry I didn't respond earlier.. different time zones. Anyway, thanks for the input. Hubby formatted the computer and I don't really know why he installed XP when we have a copy of Windows 7. I might redo it today and put 7 in instead, might have a bit more luck with that.

#14 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Sorry I didn't respond earlier.. different time zones. Anyway, thanks for the input. Hubby formatted the computer and I don't really know why he installed XP when we have a copy of Windows 7. I might redo it today and put 7 in instead, might have a bit more luck with that.

Or try this SlimDrivers (it's free) before installing Windows 7.

SlimDrivers. Find and download driver updates. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/slimdrivers.html

SlimDrivers allows you to scan your computer for missing our outdated drivers and presents you with a list of available updates. You can review the list of available updates and then choose the drivers that you want to install. SlimDrivers will download the selected drivers and automatically launch the installation program. You have the option to create a Restore Point and back up your current driver before the new driver is installed. SlimDrivers also include a backup and restore option that allows you to restore previous version of your drivers.

#15 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

I reformatted the drive and installed 7. Straight from the install we have internet and sound. So I think all is now good. Again, thank you everyone for your advice and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users