Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Help] Recovery DVDs didn't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HijackThat

HijackThat

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I made 5 recovery DVDs with AI Recovery on my Asus U43F Notebook.  I followed the direction precisely, but after the last DVD popped out and a window popped up saying that the recovery was successful, my computer restarted itself  >  "loading windows files" progress bar  >  "starting windows" symbol for Windows 7 64bit  >  then a grey screen with a mouse arrow and NOTHING!  no prompt, no windows, no taskbar, no right-click or anything to click, What do I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

Your DVDs could be corrupted since your laptop was corrupted and when you made the DVDs are corrupted. You need to get an exact Asus  notebook with the exact version of Win7 of not infected system.If the beginning is crooked the end is crooked, GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

Option 2 leave factory defaults out and clean reinstall WIN7.

Edited by Cyrus not the Virus, 19 July 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

ASUS computer have recovery partitions which will revert the operating system to the way it came out of the box.

To access this partition you need to start tapping the F9 key immediately after pressing the power button.

Depending on what has happened to the operating system you may be able to recover your data by using a program like Ubuntu, or you can attach the hdd to another computer and transfer your files to it and then transfer it to a removable media for your use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

[Fixed]

1) Cyprus not the Virus: my computer was never corrupt, and the DVDs contain a non-corrupt full image.  The problem was with the AI RECOVERY software, for whatever reason it only handles 500GB hard-drives or less, my ASUS came with a 640GB and therefore it was not compatable with it's very own recovery software; a miss-step by ASUS no doubt.  The only option I could find online, similar to your option 2, was to buy an internal 2.5 SATA HDD and use the recovery DVDs to recovery my OS onto that, then update the recovery software from version 1.0.23 or less to 1.0.24 or more.  Then replace my original 640GB HDD and recover my system back as it was in the beginning.

2) dc3: given my symptoms, there was no active OS running on my system and therefore F9 was moot.  I had used F9 recovery partition in the past, great results everytime, but this time I wanted to try the DVDs, which failed for the reason above.  Since the program stalled before it initiated any setup for whatever reason F9 would only bring me to a boot menu which did not include the recovery partition, it was almost the same as pressing esc upon startup.

3) Fix: ASUS representative got back to me last night and after mentioning the F9 option, which I explained did not work, she gave me this link: http://techdows.com/2011/07/download-windows-7-integrated-with-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html which is a place to download the appropriate Windows 7 ISO.  After doing this, and doing the install, I had use of my computer again.  Then I pressed F9 and was able to get into the recovery partition and reinstall again, which gives me all my ASUS mumbo-jumbo. 

Ended up spending no money, thank goodness, almost sent this thing into ASUS for $100-plus for repair. Hope this helps anybody with a similar problem and/or helps the excellent bleeping computer residents to help people with this problem.

Edited by HijackThat, 19 July 2013 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users