Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Foreign characters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hi. My system is running Windows 7 Home Premium. I know that language packs are not available on this version, however I had found a way for characters to display instead of having boxes by deleting C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT (from http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/9927-cant-display-chinese-korean-fonts.html

and restarting my system. However when the system is booted up after being shut down for the night I notice that the characters return back into boxy form. Any ideas on how I can stop it from being boxy or have a way to remove FNTCACHE.DAT

for good?

It seems that I can see Thai and I think Arabic and such but I cannot see Korean, Chinese or Japanese.

Edited by DJ Deoseyus, 18 July 2013 - 08:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

Hi DJ Deoseyus,

I have the same problem too but the it's alternately ie odd or even when I boot up.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Language packs - Microsoft Windows

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hi DJ Deoseyus,

I have the same problem too but the it's alternately ie odd or even when I boot up.

Hi. My system booted up today and the characters are in tact, no boxes today.

Hi. Thanks for your response. I looked at this page before and the languages I want have the "Learn how" next to them and I cannot download those via system update. I need Ultimate or Enterprise.

Edited by DJ Deoseyus, 19 July 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#5 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Well after two days of no boxes/squares, they decided to turn today.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users