Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c00021a Fatal System Error Message

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I cannot get beyond the BSOD.  I am getting the following message:

Fatal System Error c00021a. windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

I am on Windows XP, SP3 and my computer is a Dell Latitude D610

I ran a chk disk using a NTBR disk that I created here. that usually fixes my BSOD but not this time.

I turned on the computer and pressed F8 and did a system restore and

I tried to get to a c prompt via F8 and could not, it loops back to the BSOD.

Is there a way that I can get to a c prompt to try and do any of the following:

chkdsk /p

chkdsk /f

sfc /scannow

Any thoughts on which of the three above is most effective for my problem?

Any thoughts on what else I can do to fix like creating a recovery or repair disk for Windows XP.  I have a legit copy of XP but I don't have any disks.

Thank you.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 18 July 2013 - 05:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

See MS Guidance .

Louis

#3 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

^ I need a command prompt to follow their directions, can you or anyone else guide me on how to get to a command prompt?  Thank you.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi

You can create a recovery console CD using the free tool ARCDC. This utility will download the necessary files from Microsoft site and create the CD for you.

Read this for more info : http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=242982

#5 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

^ I was able to create the recovery cd (thank you) but I cannot get even execute the first step in the MS document.

The ARCDC gets me to the following prompt:

C:\WINDOWS>

The instructions from the MS document are:

To set up Dr. Watson to trap user-mode program errors, follow these steps:

1. At a command prompt, type System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I, and then press ENTER.

This command configures Dr. Watson as the default system debugger.
  2. At a command prompt, type System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe, and then select the following options:
    Append to existing log file
    Create crash dump
    Visual Notification

I can't even execute step one.  I keyed it in literally as it appears above, matching the case and everything.  Then I entered it without the spaces.  I keep getting the message that the command is an unknown command. I also did step 2 first because that -I thing looked odd and that did not work either.

It looks to me like System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I, the "-I" is an uppercase i.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 19 July 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Dr. Watson generally of no importance at all in the Windows scenario, since it's configured to perform as a default Windows setting, IIRC.  You need to always remember that much of MS guidance...is written by software engineers who may not necessarily really understand how Windows works, even though the words would lead you to believe so.  See following for more info on Dr. Watson.

There is no command prompt from the XP Recovery Console that will permit setting up Dr. Watson.  The command prompt exists insde XP...but, as I said...you can ignore anything relating to setting up Dr. Watson...it's alredy done.

If you created the ARCDC bootable CD...try to run the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#7 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

I did the chkdsk /r command and it gave me the message

"stop: c0000139 (entry point not found).  The procedure entry point NTSerializePort could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

ETA:
Is this a possible solution (scroll down or look at box on the right):

http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=c0000139

Novice Computer User Solution (completely automated):
1) Download (c0000139) repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 21 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't believe in downloading...undocumented software that speaks of modifying the Windows registry...suggested on a page that looks to me like an advertisement.  Note that the URL does not trace to any wikipedia site. the page just looks as if it were documented/authorized by the wiki process.

From About Us page: "Disclaimer: This website is not affiliated with Wikipedia and should not be confused with the website of Wikipedia, which can be found at Wikipedia.org."

So...to answer your question...no, that is no solution, just an invitation to create more problems than you have currently.

I'm not sure how you can get a STOP error when running chkdsk /r from the recovery console CD.  STOP 139 errors are Windows errors and you are not in Windows when you are using the disk created.

Louis

#9 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

As I mentioned above the ARCDC gets me to a C:\WINDOWS> prompt. Is that part of the problem and do I need to get to a C:\ prompt and then enter the chkdsk /r command? If yes, how do I do that?

Thank you.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 21 July 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hi Anne_ATL

First of all, STOP c00021a means an unknown fatal error occurred which prevents Windows from booting. It could be either hardware or software. I have seen faulty memory modules invokes this error. So instead of blindly assuming that it should be a OS corruption, do some general hardware diagnostics and maintenance first. 

Please follow the below steps. 

Caution : Touch your hand in an unpainted metal part of something to discharge static electricity before removing components.

:step1: Remove and re-insert the hard drive to make sure there are no loose connection. 

Refer the service manual (page 20 ) if you are in doubt.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-d610_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

:step2:  Run Memtest86+ for 7 or more passes to test the integrity of RAM.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

:step3:  Run a full surface test of the HDD using manufacturer's diagnostics tools. For example, Seatools for DOS to test Seagate hard disks.

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Please proceed to the next steps only if the RAM and HDD tests came clean.

:step4:  Boot in to the Recovery Console. Enter CHKDSK C: /R to run a full scale check disk on C drive.

:step5:  If that didn't helps, restore the system registry using Recovery Console. 

Read the below guide carefully first to make understand the process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Then watch the below video to make a better understanding of the process.

Hope it helps you.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 21 July 2013 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users