Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 System Restore Points

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 digger9

digger9

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

I am running Windows 7 and something has happened that makes me unable to use System Restore. When the need for a System Restore comes up I have found that I have either only one restore point, or none at all. This is true for both system generated or manual generated restore points. It looks like either restore points are not being set or at the very least they are being deleted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi digger9,

You have a limited (fixed) amount of disk space for System Restore backups.Every time you use System Restore you are using up some of that space.

So some of the older ones have to be removed.

Try turning off System Restore and run disk cleanup and disk defragmenter then turn System Restore back on.

Regards.................

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

When you open System Restore there is a check box for Show more restore points, have you checked this to see if there are any other restore points?

sysrestore_zps2e649806.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 digger9

digger9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

When I open System Restore I sometimes see one restore point and checking the Show more restart points does not show any others. This morning when I tried to do a System Restore it said there were NO restore points.

Skintired, I will see if I can figure out how to turn off System Restore, do a cleanup and defrag and turn it back on. I was not aware that you could just turn System Restore off and back on.

Thanks to both of you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

The following are excerpts from the Windows website.

How much hard disk space does System Restore require?

To store restore points, you need at least 300 megabytes (MB) of free space on each hard disk that has System Protection turned on. System Restore might use up to 15 percent of the space on each disk. As the amount of space fills up with restore points, System Restore will delete older restore points to make room for new ones.

How long are restore points saved?

Restore points are saved until the hard disk space System Restore reserves is filled up. As new restore points are created, old ones are deleted. If you turn off System Protection (the feature that creates restore points) on a disk, all restore points are deleted from that disk. When you turn System Protection back on, new restore points are created.

How often are restore points created?

Restore points are created automatically every day, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 digger9

digger9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Thank you for the additional information. Last night I turned off System Restore, did the cleanup things and turned it back on. I looked at the space available and set Max Usage to 2.08 GB. Then I ran Windows Update and this morning I created a restore point called test. It now shows that I have two restore points, one from Windows Update and the other one called test that I manually created. It also shows Current Usage of 44.33MB. I hope this means that the restore points are now working again and that only 44.33MB of the 2.08GB has been used, Does 2.08GB sound like a reasonable size or should I give it more space?

Could a virus or malware be responsible for messing up System Restore in the first place? Any other ideas about what could have done it? 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Try using one of the restore points to see if it is working.

You need 300MB for the System Restore, you have 2.08GB, 300MB = 0.292969GB.

#8 digger9

digger9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I did not get a chance to try one of the restore points the system said I had yesterday before shutting down my system for the night. This morning when I looked for restore points to try it said I had NO restore points. So, I figured that they were somehow deleted by the process of shutting down and starting up again this morning, I created another restore point named "test" this morning. Now, later in the day, I was going to see if System Restore would work with the restore point I created this morning. Once again though it says I have NO restore points. The system has not been shut down since I created a restore point this morning though so I have no clue what is happening to them.  

#9 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Try the following:

When you open System Protection to create a restore point, make sure that the C: Drive is enabled for System Restore.

In the Protection Settings section, click theC: (System) drive.

Click the Configure button.

In the Restore Settings section, select theRestore system settings and previous versions of files.

In the Disk Space Usage section, move theMax Usage slider to amount of disk space you wish to allocate for SR.

Click Apply / OK.

In the System Protection window, click theCreate button to create a Restore Point for that drive.

#10 digger9

digger9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Under system properties it shows protection on for: 

Available Drives

Recovery and OS(C:)(System)

The other settings look ok too. When I tell it to create a system restore point one is created, but then when I check later it is gone and it says there are no restore points available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users