Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix a Corrupt user profile ??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JamesGrey

JamesGrey

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

These are Microsoft instructions but I have tried 3 times and won't work.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Basically it stalls at copying appdata folder with an error about permissions?

I have logged off the main account so it can't be that, and I have rebooted as well.

Without the appdata folder however the programs will not be set up correctly.

Can anyone shed any light on where MS messed up in these instructions.

Or is there a better way to clone my user profile on same pc?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hi JamesGrey

Try this: http://theoldergeek.com/troubleshooting/how-to-fix-a-windows-corrupted-user-profile/

May think it's a waste of time but I would do a malware scan as well due to registry issue.

Regards..................

#3 JamesGrey

JamesGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, unfortunately the instructions are pretty much the same and in their example they don't even have an appdata folder which I believe is impossible.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Okay. Try running System File Checker. Open an elevated Command Prompt window. When it opens type in sfc /scannow and allow it to run. This will attempt to repair or replace any missing or corrupt files. It is recommended to run this more than once as there may be more than one corrupt file.

If that does not work I would do a Repair Install using Window 7 DVD.

Regards....................

#5 JamesGrey

JamesGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Okay. Try running System File Checker. Open an elevated Command Prompt window. When it opens type in sfc /scannow and allow it to run. This will attempt to repair or replace any missing or corrupt files. It is recommended to run this more than once as there may be more than one corrupt file.

If that does not work I would do a Repair Install using Window 7 DVD.

Regards....................

I have tried the scan everything comes back okay.

Should be a way to clone existing user, but even MS instructions are bad.

Thanks.

Edited by JamesGrey, 18 July 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

There has to be an underlying root cause for your user profile to become corrupt. That is the issue that you should address. I have used the aforementioned steps to repair a corrupt user profile and it worked.

Please provide any information you can. When did you first notice this. Were any significant changes made prior ( ie, updates, system upgrades ) to this event.?

Why not try a system repair ? Your valuable data can be saved. I am not aware of any easy as abc cloning program.

Regards................

#7 JamesGrey

JamesGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

There has to be an underlying root cause for your user profile to become corrupt. That is the issue that you should address. I have used the aforementioned steps to repair a corrupt user profile and it worked.

Please provide any information you can. When did you first notice this. Were any significant changes made prior ( ie, updates, system upgrades ) to this event.?

Why not try a system repair ? Your valuable data can be saved. I am not aware of any easy as abc cloning program.

Regards................

Unfortunately it was just one of those things where all of a sudden I had Adobe Flash upgrade failing all the time so I just one day tried right click as administrator and it worked. Then the other day another of my software programs would not launch same symptom. That is when I found the Microsoft link to repair a corrupt profile but it is incomplete in terms of failing to copy appdata folder.

In terms of changes, to be honest it would not be possible to know since I only realized there was a problem when adobe asked to update, so the actual problem could have occurred a while back.

If all else fails I will certainly do the system repair method, just odd that in XP you can copy a profile and windows 7 causes so much grief over it.

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

You have to take ownership of the files (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx), and set the permissions (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419#4)

generally you have to be very careful about what you copy in the appdata folder - I often only bring certain parts of it over (firefox/chrome bookmarks) so as not to screw up the new profile I made. There are often many parts such as "temporary internet files" and "temp" files that I specifically do not want.

Or is there a better way to clone my user profile on same pc?

Have a backup of a point when the profile was good. I generally try restore points before cloning the profile but this seems to be a case of that you have already chosen to move forward - restore points could get ugly at this point.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 19 July 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#9 JamesGrey

JamesGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

You have to take ownership of the files (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx), and set the permissions (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419#4)

generally you have to be very careful about what you copy in the appdata folder - I often only bring certain parts of it over (firefox/chrome bookmarks) so as not to screw up the new profile I made. There is often many parts such as "temporary internet files" and "temp" files that I specifically do not want.

So funny how the MS link I posted makes it all look so easy, but in reality it is a real pain. Thanks for the info, it seems MS left out quite a bit about profile copying. Shame XP was so easy merely click copy and new profile is created from old one.

It's starting to look like a system restore may be the easier option or even a full format reinstall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users