Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a new ASUS VS247H-P 24 inch monitor to my older HP Pavilion a510n/Win

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maudemarie

maudemarie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hi! 

I am a new member who really knows nothing about external hardware computer issues. 

I have an HP Pavilion a510n that I bought in 2004 and have hardly used.  I just bought a new ASUS VS247H-P 24 inch monitor and would like to replace my old 14" in flat screen HP monitor with it.

I bought the ASUS new from Ebay.  When it arrived I set it up and plugged it into my computer, which then should have detected new hardware and promted me to install, but it did not.

I have a brand new printer which I installed this way and downloaded necessary tools from the internet.

I have tried contacting ASUS for help, but they had no idea what I was talking about and I became very frustrated with them.

I can use the new monitor, but all of the settings are for my old monitor.  Also this computer has speakers that plug in to the computer and the monitor, ASUS told me if I used their monitor, I wouldn't have any sound...EVER!

I have spent two weeks searching every place I can find on the internet and I need help.  Any advice or guidance you could give me would be appreciated more than you know.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

You don't need drivers for a monitor - they just plug in and play.

According to the specs from ASUS it has a VGA connection as well as HDMI and DVI so use the VGA cable you used to use for your old monitor to connect it.

As far as the settings go, it is capable of 1920 x 1080 resolution, which is probably a lot higher than the settings you used with your previous monitor. You don't say what operating system you are using but these are fairly easy to change. If you are using Win 7 - and I think it is the same for Vista - right click on a blank piece of screen then click on 'Screen resolution'. In the middle of the screen that appears you will see a drop down box for screen resolution. If it isn't set to 1920 x 1080 already, click on the box and choose that value, or the nearest you can get to it.

If you are using XP, then again click on a blank piece of screen but select 'Settings' and a tabbed selection box appears. Click on the right hand tab - I think it is called 'Advanced' - and again adjust the resolution to as near 1920 x 1080 as you can get it..

As for the audio. Again, according to the specs, this monitor has an audio output but this requires that you connect it to your computer using HDMI or DVI - the VGA cable does not carry an audio signal. So just plug your speakers into the back of your computer as you have always done and your sound will be the same as ever.

There is the possibility that the video built into your computer may only offer 4:3 screen ratios rather than the modern widescreen format that your ASUS monitor uses. It will still work, but everything will appear wider than it should. The only solution to this problem, if it occurs, is to fit a separate video card into the computer and use that instead of the built in on-board video drivers and outputs.

So - you don't need drivers, your existing VGA cable will work, you may need to change your screen resolution settings, and plug your speakers into the audio output on the back of your computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 maudemarie

maudemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Mr. Chris Cosgrove,

Thank you very, very, much for your instructions and explanations!  I appreciate your help! 

I was able to change the DPI for the monitor in settings and that allowed me to adjust the resolution - it only goes to 1280x1024 - bit it is much, much better than it was!  I have XP - sorry, about leaving that out.  :)

I do have to buy new speakers as my old ones connected to both the computer and monitor, but that is no biggie.  The monitor does have an earplug connection, but that wasn't working and now I know why.  Again, Thank you so much for your time!!!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Alternatively you could purchase a graphics card which would allow you to use a HDMI cable and provide higher resolution.  A HDMI cable will carry both audio and video.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Glad you have it working, but DC3 and I are now both agreed you need a new video card !

You say that the highest resolution your system will provide is 1280 x 1024, which is approximately 4:3 aspect ratio ( ie 4 units wide and 3 tall ) and is also well short of the resolution your new screen is designed for. Looking at a picture of your new screen in the ASUS blurb, it is widescreen format which is approximately 16:9 aspect ratio so, as I suspected, things will look short and wide ! 

A new video card is not an expensive item, at the lower end. My local components suppler ( my favourite charity ! ) lists them from £UK 25 ($US 35 ?) up, and these are HDMI and DVI capable. A 0.5 metre HDMI cable is also listed by them at £UK 4, so for a total of about $US 40 you will be able to get the best out of your new monitor and use its built in speakers.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 maudemarie

maudemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

Thank you.  I do have it working and i've gotten new speakers, but I agree with  you gentlemen that i need to get a new plug in for the video.  I was watching movies on the internet and the picture is fuzzy and blurry.  So i have been looking into it.  Thank you again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users