Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8 gb RAM is fully taken most of the time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 arunkama

arunkama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi

I have a Win 8 laptop with Core i7 3rd Gen,1 TB HD, 8 GB Ram, My ram is occupied fully most of the time.During Idle time, Ram usage is 6.7/8 GB.When I work with softwares like Netbeans or photoshop, It reaches even 7.9 GB!!! I use Nortron Internet Security for Protection. Could that be a cause for this huge consumption ? 

I have only one tab open in Chrome as I write this.However, my memory uasge is shown below.
NSUPO66.png

If need be, I am willing to share more data.

What could be the probable cause for this ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Why have 8 GB of RAM if you don't want the system to use it?

#3 arunkama

arunkama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

I am afraid You have misunderstood the problem. What I I am saying is that using 7 gb out of 8 when the system is idle seems to be abnormal to me. The usage shoots up to 7. 9 gb If I open one or more programs.

This is causing sluggish performance. Please help.

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

Right-click any blank space on the Taskbar and select Start Task Manager. The Process tab is the most telling. If you click CPU (top of the column), it should put the process using the most memory at the top. If not, click it again. DO NOT stop a process without knowing what it does. This can cause major damage if the process is necessary for normal computer operation. Instead, look up the process name on a reliable site like ProcessLibrary.com. The site will give you an idea which program is associated with the process, what it does, and whether it can be shut down safely.

#5 arunkama

arunkama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Kindly look at the picture attached with my first post.

If you add up the memory being used, it hardly adds up to 1 GB. But the percentage of memory used up is shown as 78% of 8 GB. How is it possible? 

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Try RAMMap, or VMMap to dig deep.

For an explanation of the various terms, this two part presentation is a good start:

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Show us a pic of your Performance tab please. Also run process explorer from:

http://live.sysinternals.com/procexp.exe

Run that program and then click on file save as and post the log file it creates as an attachment.

That will give us a good idea of what is running and using up what memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users