Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Mouse Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 duffmid

duffmid

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have no idea what is going on with my USB ports and I need some help to try to figure it out.  This is on my work computer, a Dell Precision 390 running windows XP.

A couple of weeks ago I started getting random USB Device Not Reconized, pop ups in my task bar.  These were particularly odd since I had nothing plugged in via usb except my mouse, which was at the time still working normally.  I did some googling and saw someone suggesting a way to get rid of the pop ups would be to, shut down, pull the power from the machine and let it sit for a few minutes then plug back in and restart.  I did that and since then my USB mouse doesn't work at all.  I'm having to use an ancient old mouse I found in my office through the PS/2 port.

Now when I try plugging my mouse back in it says USB device not recognized, then it says drivers installed the device is ready for use, but it doesn't work and if I go into device manager it just shows up as an unknown device.  I have tried the mouse on another machine and it works on that other machine running the same set up as mine.

I've tried updating the BIOS, updating the chipset, uninstalling the USB hubs, uninstalling the USB controllers and restarting twice, using a system restore point to before this was happening, run system file checker and nothing has helped.

To make things all the more confusing, when I plug my android phone in via the usb, it receives power, the pop-up says device not recognized but then when i look in file explorer my phone shows up as removable drives and I can access the files on it, and when i look in device manager, it shows the Samsung phone, another entry for the sd card inside the phone and another unknown device entry under USB Controllers (even though the only thing plugged in is the phone so I don't know what that unknown device is, it's not left over from the mouse).  That makes me think the ports must still be working, ie the motherboard has not failed.  However when I plug in a regular flash drive to the same computer (any port) nothing happens.... nothing at all.  No pop ups about unrecognized devices, no unknown device in the device manager, just nothing at all.

Then (just one more bit of confusing information) when i try booting up from a rescue disk running parted magic, with the usb mouse plugged in, the ps/2 mouse taken out, the install hangs and it says:

new low-speed USB device number 1 using uhci-hcd

device descriptor read /64, error -71

unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

But if I boot up without the mouse plugged in, it starts fine.  And likewise when i plug my phone in with the linux rescue disk running it recognizes those as external drives, but does not recognize the regular usb pen drive.

Does anyone have the faintest idea what is going on with my machine or what I can do about it??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

You might have malware... I would be running advanced scan tools now, as you have exhausted all the logical explanations (I can think of) besides motherboard failure, which seems unlikely.

#3 duffmid

duffmid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Any particular scanners you'd recommend?

#4 hamboney

hamboney

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'm having the same problem. Spent 100 hours trying to install Logitech USB wireless after I thought the old mouse died. Two calls to tech support no solution.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Any particular scanners you'd recommend?

Start with adwcleaner, JRT and MBAM... If you find stuff I'd suggest going over to the malware forum. There's people there who live for this stuff.

#6 duffmid

duffmid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

I ran the Bit Defender rescue disk to scan the C drive and it located and removed a trojan.  Now I seem to be back to where I started where I'm getting a ton of pop-ups saying USB Device Not Recognized, even though nothing is plugged in.

#7 duffmid

duffmid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Now I plugged my USB mouse back into the back of the machine and it recognized it again.  But when I plug a flash drive to the front of the computer, still no response.  So maybe the front ports are malfunctioning?  But they still allow me to connect my phone via the front ports.  So... progress?

#8 duffmid

duffmid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Good Grief!  This may (or may not) be final proof that this is a hardware issue (complicated or caused by a trojan).  I was just away from my desk and when I came back the USB mouse is dead again and I've had to plug in the old ps/2 mouse.  While I was gone nothing was done to the machine and it didn't go into hibernation or anything else.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

have you run the 3 programs I advised?

EDIT: if they find stuff you'd best head over to the malware forum.

Edited by TsVk!, 23 July 2013 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users