Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Nvidea, now I can only start computer in safe mode!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gordon999

Gordon999

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi, Over the past two months, I keep seeing lines accross my screens (I have two dell monitors - one is nearly 5 years old, and the other is nearly two.) for example, if I had a forum window open and I scroll down, then lines macthing the colour of the threads/replies will appear. I had to stop using the google chrome browser because It would go really strange, especially when watching YouTube the video wopuld turn into a kaleidoscope looking thing.

Anyway, I presumed it was my software as it was happening on both screens and I thought it was unlikely that both monitors would start to go faulty at the same time.

earlier today, I updated my Nvidea graphics card (I think it was graphics card anyway) Geeforce. I hadn't updated it since I first got my PC over 6 years ago. 

Shortly after I updated it (around 10 minutes) a blue sceen came up saying -

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need."

This screen comes up every time I try to start up my computer, unless I run it in safe mode.

I wasn't sure what information to include, if there's anything that I should have included but haven't let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hi Gordon999,

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration ? Or possibly doing a system restore prior to when the issue arose. You could also perform system file checker by running sfc /scannow. You could also run chkdsk /r.

You might check to see if you can rollback the driver update.

Regards................

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just to add also to what have been suggested already, please try the onboard video (if available) or swap a card that is compatible with your computer. When troubleshooting, please use a single monitor alternately to find the culprit.

Tekken

#4 Gordon999

Gordon999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replies, the problem with the blue screen is sorted now. I didn't do anything, just waited for a couple of hours, turned my Pc back on and it loaded normally. The problem with the lines etc is still there though.

Here's a link to screenshot, I'm not sure how to insert an image as an attachment on these boards. 

http://postimg.org/image/qcq4qg42f/

Thanks!

#5 Gordon999

Gordon999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

It also occasionally says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDEA Windows Kernal Mode driver, Version 307.83 has stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

Just a thought. You might try right clicking on my computer, then go to properties, in the left margin select advanced settings, then the advanced tab, and your first option: performance, click on settings, then select 'adjust for performance', which should uncheck everything, then keep the 3rd and 4th from bottom checked.

Then when you see that it is working okay then I would start adding options one at a time, that way you can isolate as to what is the cause and keep it unchecked.

Regards.................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users