Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I stay or should I go? (upgrade laptop or new purchase)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 attemi

attemi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

I use this laptop to remote into my work desktop when I work from home, and I get enough blue screens of death that I'm considering a new purchase.  It's a Dell 1720 with Vista, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz.  I have already upgraded my ram to 4gb.  It has nvidia GeForce 8600M GT.  I have two uses, work and gaming.  I can deal with the annoyances when I'm playing SCII (even though it's getting slow enough to become unplayable at all but the lowest graphic settings), but when I'm working and have to restart I vow each time to buy something new.  I've already gotten more years out of the machine than I expected, but figured maybe there's another upgrade I can do to get another couple years worth out of it.

I've read that it's usually caused by overheating, and I use it on top of one of those fan blowing trays, but not with much success.  I try to keep it defragged and the registry clean, but can't be sure it does any real good.

Worth upgrading, and, if so, what upgrades?

Thanks much.

Edited by attemi, 18 July 2013 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

If it were me I'd go with a new system. There comes a point where what you spend to upgrade equals or is more than a new computer.
All systems eventually reach the end of their useful life.

I don't know where you are located but if the United States it's almost back to school time. Computers will be on sale so you could get a decent one for a good price. Many states also have a back to school tax free weekend which is a good time to buy a new one if your city participates in the tax free program. There will be limitations so you should first find out what they are.

Last August I snagged a new laptop during that weekend and did not pay any sales tax, which was not charged for computers under $700.

#3 attemi

attemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Good advice, thanks much.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

IMO, laptops (by design) are not intended to be "upgraded" and new models come out routinely.  Rather than invest in an older one...replace with a new one is the way that I would go.

More features, at least a year warranty, no baggage carried forward.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users