Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC continually reboots, can't go into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Because of the issue with this computer that I am posting about, I am not 100 percent sure which forum to post this in.  I will post here in the Internal Hardware, if this is not the correct forum to post this in, please let me know where I should post it.

I am trying to clean up a Dell OptiPlex GX520 with XP SP3, MS UPdates are up to date. which has/had many problems including can not go into Safe Mode by pressing F8, CTRL key, F12. The only F key that I pressed and worked is the F2 key to get into setup. 

The computer had a ton of malware/spyware and a couple of Trojans. I could not open up AVG (paid version). I cleaned up what I could with malwarebytes, sypbot search and destroy, glarys utilities SuperAntiSpyware and I still could not open up AVG. I decided to delete AVG and reinstall it however when I tried to delete it through add and remove programs nothing would happen, just like when I clicked on AVG to open it up, so I deleted AVG directory, went into regedit and saved (exported) regedit, deleted all instances of AVG in regedit and rebooted. now the computer keeps on rebooting, I get the dell screen then the Windows XP screen and then it reboots.

I still can not get into Safe Mode, I tried booting from a XP CD after I made sure booting from CD was first in line to boot from and it will not boot to CD. I can boot from the CD on another computer. I made a bootable XP USB thumb drive changed the boot to boot from USB and still I can not boot up. it goes from Dell screen to windows XP screen and reboots.

I took the hard drive out of the computer and was able to copy the data on it to a flash drive, so that I can format the hard drive and start from scratch.  however since I can not boot from CD or USB I can not format...

The last thing I did was unplugged the computer, took the battery out for about 10 minutes, replaced it and tried booting up the computer once again... without the cd or usb, then with the cd, then the usb and the computer still continues to reboot.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Can you post respective error messages that appear onscreen?

Is the BIOS reflecting proper date/time data?

Are drives properly reflected in BIOS?

Does removal of RAM produce beep codes?

Louis

#3 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thank You Louis for responding

Below are the answers to your questions.

When I boot up the computer all that happens is:

the Dell screen will appear 

than the Windows XP screen will appear and 5 to 8 seconds later it reboots

Dell screen again

Windows XP screen again. 

No Error message come up.

When I press F8 or F12 nothing happens.  Do not get the menu to choose safe mode, last known good configuration etc..

When I press F2 I can go into BIOS

Date and time are correct.----I reset the date and time after I took the battery out the other day, put it back in after 5 minutes and i have checked the date and time every time i have gone into the BIOS and it is correct.

I removed the one stick of RAM and left one in and got 2 beeps

removed the other stick of RAM and as soon as i turned on the computer and i heard a long beep than silence then another long beep.  turned off the computer and put the both RAM sticks in and heard 2 beep when i turned it on.  turned off computer and back on and no beeps.

Thanks again.  I will wait for your response.

Robin

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Beyond my knowledge :), let's wait for other opinions/suggestions.

Louis

#5 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Thank You Louis. 

Should I post this in a different Forum section?

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Try booting live media CD with only CD drive and monitor connected to MB.

#7 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I tired to boot from an XP CD with no hard drive, keyboard or mouse connected. I heard two beeps and the screen went blank. that was it.

do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Edited by luv2bike2nv, 22 July 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'd say the problem is bad RAM based on the beep codes, but the only way to verify that is to use some "known good" RAM as a control. That means you need to beg, borrow, buy, or steal as least one module that definitely functions in a similar computer, then try it in yours. If it boots, you have your answer.

Edited by slgrieb, 23 July 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

I tired to boot from an XP CD with no hard drive, keyboard or mouse connected. I heard two beeps and the screen went blank. that was it.

Yes:

Before trying to troubleshoot hardware with Windows install media I would try a Linux bootable CD like Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux or one of the billion other live media available.

Thanks

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Yes:

Before trying to troubleshoot hardware with Windows install media I would try a Linux bootable CD like Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux or one of the billion other live media available.

Thanks

Edit: And what slgrieb suggests above.

Edit1.2: Oh, my. Made a mess.... :spider

Edited by bludgard, 23 July 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#11 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Slgrieb and Bludgard,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. 

however I have gotten the computer out of the reboot loop.

there were/are many issues here:

one issue I believe that was causing me not to get the menu for Safe mode, last know good etc is the keyboard that I have.

I brought the computer to the office and hooked up another Keyboard, monitor and mouse and I was able to get the menu however the reboot was still happening.  

At least I was able to disable the Automatic restart when computer crashes so I can see the BSOD which gave me a "Stop: c000021A (fatal system error)  status code of 0xc0000034 etc.

I looked it up and it has to do with the win32sys.exe.  I tried everything from posts on this BSOD however all but one suggestion did not work.  the one that kind of work is the one from Microsoft --- In-Place Upgrade.   I have an XP CD and booted up from that and did a repair which reinstalls XP.  I am now able to boot into XP and work on the system once again.   

Thanks again for your suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users