Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2008 R2 File Permission Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Preacherpj

Preacherpj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hello -

I'm not sure this is the right forum to place this question in -- I didn't see a forum for Server 2008 and seeing that its similar to Windows 7 I decided to put my question in here. I apologize in advance if I've missed the correct place.

I'm having trouble making sense of some permissions issues with my 2008 R2 server. I have one DC which has a local drive shared out to users in the network.

The top level of the drive (G:) is not inhereting any permissions and has Administrators Group=Full control, Users=Modify, System=Full Control. I went through Advanced>Change Permissions>Replace all child objects permissions with inheritable permissions from this object.

I did this individually for all three groups. After hitting apply, the progress window came up and it seemed to propogate my permissions correctly.

However, when I look at the security properties of the sub-folders (any of them) directly beneath G: the permissions do not seem to be inherited. The user groups which are listed in the top level are present, but none of them have any attached permissions. All blank! When I click on Advanced, I again see the list of the user groups in the top level. Under the <Inherited From> column all of the groups list the top level (G:\). Additionally the check box at the bottom of the window for <Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent> is ticked and grayed out.

To make it more strange (for me at least) when I click on a group, select <change permissions> <edit> all of the permissions that I set at the very top level are there. So Administrators have full control and Users Modify.

But there aren't any permissions listed under Properties, Security, Edit......

I've been googling this for awhile -- but I have no idea why my permissions aren't working. Anybody have any ideas??

Oh, and I can select a Subfolder individually and reapply the settings I want and it will then propogate to each subfolder underneath it. But thats a terrible way to control a large share drive. But the problem definately seems to be between the top level and the first level of subfolders.

Would love any help!

Thanks!!

Ryan

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2013 - 12:17 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win NT - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

I suspect that the permissions currently applied to the subfolders do not match the predfined "Read", "Modify" etc permission sets (including the scope of the permissions). [by scope, I mean an option from the aplies to drop down list in the advanced permissions dialog]

If you want to set the entire drive to inherit permissions from the root, you may need to take ownership of all folders before you try to adjust the inheritance of the permissions though the folders.

Try this... Bring up the Security page of the properites of the drive root, "Advanced" button, "Owner" tab, "Edit" button, select "Administrators" and tick "replace owner on subcontainers and folders". Apply that.

Then try to set the permssions on the root folder that you desire including the "replace all child permissions...." flag.

Although you shuld not need to, I have on occasion had to repeat the change ownership and/or set inheritable permissions task a couple of times to get everything changed.

x64

#3 laptopeveryone

laptopeveryone

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Got a strange one here - relating to permissions on two of our storage servers - here goes. We set up some new administrator accounts last week, making them members of the "DOMAIN\Domain Admins" group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users