Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant download

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dawit6

dawit6

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

suddenly cant donwload anything - not even downloads to fix the problem - have no idea about computers so need a very simple solution - seem to remember having this problem before and fixing it but cant remember how i did it ! - please help !!! - oh - by the way my computer is all in Dutch so I cant read what it says so if offering a solution can you be so kind as to say e.g. press the second button along and then then third option from the top etc !!! - sorry to be so hopeless !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'd say getting your computer back into English first would be a priority.

1) press windows key and r

2) type intl.cpl in the box and hit enter.

3) the first drop down box at the top is language selection. Choose your language and apply.

4) click the third tab across, press the button in it, select you language and apply.

I believe the Dutch call English "Engels" or something pretty similar. (EDIT: you may have to install English on your system if it's not there, press the little shield on the third tab.)

As to not being able to download anything, please be more specific. Do you get and error? Nothing happens? The machine shuts down or stalls? what happens?

Edited by TsVk!, 18 July 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#3 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

many thanks - however cant get it to work ( havent restarted my system yet however so perhaps it will appear ! ) - all that you said was there so not sure why it wont work ! 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

installed the new language? third tab on the shield icon....

restart is the usual fix for Microsoft...

#5 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

no shield icon that I can see unfortunately ! - tried to put in ENglish ( ireland ) but no luck so far !!! and the lack of downloads is driving me mad! 

#6 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

restarted and still in Dutch !

#7 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

downloads - it starts and then just before the end a little message comes up in Dutch - something like misluktvirusscan is mis

#8 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

the full info is : 

Tijdens het scannen van dit bestand met antivirussoftware is er een onverwachte fout opgetreden.

#9 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

can anyone offer any suggestions since my work is now getting seriously behind with not being able to download ? - have spent hours trying to find solutions but no luck ! - had been trying to download kung fu panda games previous to the downloads stopping !

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

getting your machine back to english really seems like a priority here.

The error you posted is an antivirus issue.

Google to change your language to English (there's loads of step by step tutorials) and then you may be able to better understand whats going on with your machine, and get it working again.

#11 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

after trying various things, beginning to think that it cant be done and that as google suggests :

Unfortunately User Interface (menus and dialogues) will remain in the Dutch language.

To do what you require needs the Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI)from Microsoft but it is not available as retail. (Also Win XP Pro can handle this and not the home version - anyway this is immaterial in your case)

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/308764/change-language-for-windows-xp-from-dutch-to-engl/#ixzz2ZkeCReGE

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

that's unfortunate... i can't help you in Dutch sorry.

#13 dawit6

dawit6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

oh well - thanks for trying - anyone else out there with any ideas ? - I now have access to a working computer for a couple of days ( urgently needed for work ) so can download on that one and then transfer across by flash 

#14 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hi, dawit6,

According to translate.google.com your error on the downloads translates to "While scanning this file with antivirus software there is an unexpected error."  That kind of nonspecific error often indicates a conflict due to more than one active antivirus program, or a corrupt antivirus program.  Did you recently update and/or run any anti-virus/anti-malware program (including Windows Defender) OR download another program on the advice of a popup from a website?  If that last, you might have downloaded what is known as "scareware" at best, or something worse  -- If that is the case, do NOT continue here but please go post in one of the infection topics.

Research indicates your download problem MAY be due to a corrupt Windows Defender.  Does the computer with the problem have Windows Defender on it?  Windows 7?  Try Start > Control Panel (maybe "Configuratiescherm") and see if Windows Defender (maybe still "Windows Defender" or "Windows Verdediger") is on the list.  If so, open it up and look at the History ("geschiedenis" or maybe "historie") link at that top where it will tell you if anything has been deleted or quarantined by that program.  Try to restore whatever you find in there.  Also in Windows Defender, next to the History link, you should find Tools (maybe "gereedschap") and in there Options ("opties"), and uncheck the box at the top that will disable auto daily scanning and then Save at the lower right.  Then third on the menu on the left click on the Real-Time Protection link - also uncheck the top box and click on Save at the lower right.

Then back at the Tools link, the second link down on the left should be Quarantined Items ("quarantaine") - click on that and restore anything in there.  Yes, I know I'm repeating, but if it's corrupt...

What other antivirus do you have? Look next to the clock and see if it's still there.  If found, open it up and look in its quarantine and/or history.  Use http://translate.google.com to help in identification if necessary.  Some indications that AVG and/or Kaspersky might have had a conflict with Windows Defender in the past and won the fight, so it could happen with any of them.

Then try restarting the computer again and let us know if you're able to reset to English.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hi -

Please list the Antivirus program(s), Antimalware program(s) and Firewall(s) currently installed on your computer.

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users