Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq can't install update w/out crashing (+ other problems)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpeedyVTXP

SpeedyVTXP

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hello,

Introduction:

This is an incorrect post- I don't have all the technical (necessary) information about my computer yet. That will come tonight. I am also going to post on the Viruses form, but wanted to know if anyone here could tell if I had other problems.

Computer Info:

HP Compaq, running Windows XP Home Edition, 200GB disk memory, 1GB RAM?(not sure), has always had AVG installed and running, Windows Firewall has always been on, is connected to a password-secured WiFi home network, ran Disk Cleanup about a week ago, defragmented about 3 months ago, has had a good number of programs (around 15) downloaded from the internet, tried out, and uninstalled. 

Problem:

Updating Crashes Computer

A few of years ago I ran the Windows automatic update, which had been used previously with no problems, and during the course of the install the computer crashed. I had to use the restore disk to get it back in working order. This has happened two more times over the years- every time I tried to update. I don't think the computer has been updated since around 2010. This creates a security risk, right?

Mouse Goes Wild

Last year the mouse began to act up. It would have periods of complete unresponsiveness, but this would stop when the computer was restarted. Then, about six months ago, it began to zoom wildly around the screen, clicking on things and opening and closing files so fast that you couldn't see what they were. This "seizure" would last around 15 seconds, stop, then sometimes go again for five more seconds before the mouse returned to normal.

Trojan and Virus Caught by AVG

Last week, AVG caught a trojan during a regular computer scan. I manually initiated a full-computer scan, during which it found a virus. I had AVG remove both problems, but I don't know if it actually did.

Strange Uninstall Files

Google Chrome was "unable to read [my] preferences", so I followed the instructions here: http://forums.yoosecurity.com/index.php?threads/google-chrome-pops-up-%E2%80%9Cyour-preferences-can-not-be-read%E2%80%9D-upon-startup.3911/ and renamed Default folder (this fixes the problem, but you loose all your bookmarks- I think that they are still around, but that's off topic). While I was navigating around to get the Chrome application data, I came across a host of strange $NTUninstall folders (I think that's the layout- they had a $, 'Uninstall', some or all had an 'NT', and then there were about nine or ten letters and numbers). I copied and pasted a folder name into the Google search bar, and all the results said something about trojans, worms, viruses, spyware, and malware. 

What I Have Done:

I began reading help forums, found Bleeping Computer and signed up, read the How To Post in the Virus Forum section, and created the log files. I don't have them right now, but if you would like them I can post them with the other info tonight. I wanted to fix as many problems as possible before I post on the Virus Forum. When I do, I'll create new log files for them.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2013 - 10:11 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Good morning, welcome to BC :).

Pllease...do not post any logs until you are either requested to do so...or a BC Staff member directs you to post such.  In particular, do not post any malware logs in this forum, they are outside the province of this forum and are handled in a forum by personnel trained to neutralize malware situations.

I am moving your topic to the Am I Infected forum, where the more knowledgeable will attempt to assist you.

Louis

#3 SpeedyVTXP

SpeedyVTXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Louis,

Thank you very much for correcting my category - does this mean that I am infected?!

Ken

#4 SpeedyVTXP

SpeedyVTXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Here's an update: It's a Compaq Presario, here are the specs:

Base processor: Sempron (P) 3400+ 2.0 GHz

• 1600 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
  • Socket 939
Chipset:    ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Motherboard
  • Motherboard Name: A8AE-LE
  • HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmberineM-GL6E
Memory
Component Attributes Memory Installed 256 MB (1 x 256)
 Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM DIMM slots Four Open DIMM slots Three
Hard drive: 100 GB SATA, 7200 rpm
CD-Writer DVD Combination 48x32x48x16 drive
Port type Quantity CD write 48X CD rewrite 32X CD read 48X DVD read 16X
Modem:
PCI K56flex data/fax modem
Video Graphics
Integrated graphics
Sound/Audio: Controller: AC97 audio, Location: Integrated
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader
  • USB interface
  • Supports the following cards:
    • Compact Flash I
    • Compact Flash II
    • SmartMedia
    • Memory Stick
    • Memory Stick Pro
    • MultiMediaCard
    • Secure Digital (SD)
    • Micro Drive
    • XD Picture Card (xd = extreme digital)
External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel

Edited by SpeedyVTXP, 19 July 2013 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users