Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2013 Free - Reported threats - How do we handle them ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

I use AVG 2013 Free and just cannot find out what to do when the report lists a number of threats. I have tried to get this elementary information from the AVG Free Forum, but it is easier getting blood out of a stone. I have also surfed all over the web looking for this simple explanation, including the AVG Users Manual, but still no luck.  So I am appealing to any BC members who use this AV to supply the information.

No problem in running a scan. Any threats are listed nice and easy to see in impressive detail. The problem is "What do I do next ?"

There is a box saying "Archive selected" and "Archive all". What exactly do these mean ? I Archived all, nothing changed on the report and I could not find  any trace of an archived report. Disappeared  down a black  hole.

There is a "View details" which  brings up all details of the threat - Fine, a job well done.

There is a "Remove selected" and "Remove all" - haven't a  clue what these mean. "Remove" can mean several things including Delete. Presumable the imprecise Czech/English choice of an explicit word.

I actually hit "Remove all", never played Russian Roulette before so I  thought it worth a go. All the nasty red blobs were immediately converted to nice green ticks and I had to reboot for AVG to do what AVG does best. So I did this and the report then showed all those naughty threats with lovely green ticks.

When I clicked "View details", to my amazement all the threats were now labelled "Healed" ! Absolute magic. So the mysterious "Remove all" had signalled some intensive surgery to be carried out  and now all those diseased items were restored to health and presumably back on duty where they came from in the first place.  

Is this what AVG means us to do, but does not tell us about ? Why ?

Another rash presumption on my part is to assume that IF the AVG Surgeon cannot cure the patient, it is then transported to the "Virus Vault" and destined for eternal damnation.

Please you AVG users, take me back to simple sanity and tell me what you reckon about all this as a result of your experience. Perhaps it is only for FREE customers that AVG reserve this calculated torment.

A million thanks

Yabba

BEFORE :-

df2844f8-6967-477e-a907-b8d9c42c393e_zps

AFTER :-

AVGHealedlist_zps1410d54f.jpg

When bringing up the "Details", all the "Secured" items show "Healed".

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 July 2013 - 03:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

OK -

First thing is that I do not use AVG, and have not used it for almost 10 years. My first option was to go to the FAQ area for answers, so I am not sure if this means anything to you -

Virus Removal FAQ from AVG pages - Removal Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I remove a virus?
2. My website was hacked, what should I do?
3. How to remove a virus infection that keeps coming back?
4. What do AVG pop-ups mean?
5. How to clean system files?
6. How to remove tracking cookies?
7. How to add file, folder or URL exceptions to AVG scans?

8. How can I be fully protected from malware and spyware?
9. How can I check if a file on my device is a virus or other malware?

All other information is very vague to me - I would change Antivirus ........

Edited by noknojon, 18 July 2013 - 03:58 AM.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:53 AM

@ Noknojon

Thank you for your reply, but none of the AVG FAQ`s even mention "Threats" which are listed in their  scans. They always talk about Virus`s, but never threats or how to deal with reports listing them. They even quote terms which were in their older versions, but not now in AVG 2013. The treatment of suspected Malware items on their scan reports, appears to be a trade secret. Virus infections are rare, Malware infections are frequent.

As I said, any attempt to get this simple information from AVG is an impossible task. Other users on the web have tried with the AVG Forum, but failed.

I specifically  asked AVG what these terms meant and how to deal with them. HUH ! What a waste of  time. Their ultimate Guru, the Forum Founder and undisputed Administrator answered, but not to explain what these terms meant, a simple reply - he did what they  always do and referred me to a bunch of useless FAQ`s which never covered the matter. Who knows, perhaps the Guru did not know the answer himself. These things do happen in the best of circles. Perhaps he uses Avast.

This is why I have posted on BC, a very reputable and dedicated Forum that does help people and has no self interests, just independent expertise and most of all - solid user experiences.

If anybody can find the answer to my quest on any AVG material, I will probably become a Buddhist Monk and retreat to a mountain refuge in the Himalayas, but will be forever in their debt.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 July 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

This may be the "ultimate" reply (found in a hidden corner) 

Note that most of the Bolding and "Quote" marks are mine to highlight their instructions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After a scan, a summary of results is displayed. If suspicious files were detected, they appear in a list on the summary page.

Select Heal for any objects that appear.

AVG "attempts to heal" the selected objects. The results of this process may vary, depending on the severity of the infection.

After the healing has been attempted, if there are objects remaining, select Remove all unhealed objects. Click Yes to confirm.

Some particularly stubborn items cannot be healed or removed, and the only remaining option is to move them into quarantine (the Virus Vault).

Once items are moved to the Virus Vault, they cannot harm your computer. However, if the infected files were needed for another purpose, deleting them may prevent another application (or Windows itself) from working correctly.

(My Opinion but direct quoted - Now they admit that their scanner is ? not the best in finding Real Infections)

If you are absolutely sure your computer is functioning normally (you might want to wait a few days to be sure) click Virus Vault and Empty Vault.

The Vault has a file limit and will to be emptied periodically.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - -  - - - - -

My findings are, generally, that a lot of False Positives are detected by the current AVG versions

I have not been to any current AV comparison pages, but I think they would agree -

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

@ Noknojon

Thank you for your reply, but none of the AVG FAQ`s even mention "Threats" which are listed in their  scans. They always talk about Virus`s, but never threats or how to deal with reports listing them. They even quote terms which were in their older versions, but not now in AVG 2013. The treatment of suspected Malware items on their scan reports, appears to be a trade secret. Virus infections are rare, Malware infections are frequent.

As I said, any attempt to get this simple information from AVG is an impossible task. Other users on the web have tried with the AVG Forum, but failed.

I specifically  asked AVG what these terms meant and how to deal with them. HUH ! What a waste of  time. Their ultimate Guru, the Forum Founder and undisputed Administrator answered, but not to explain what these terms meant, a simple reply - he did what they  always do and referred me to a bunch of useless FAQ`s which never covered the matter. Who knows, perhaps the Guru did not know the answer himself. These things do happen in the best of circles. Perhaps he uses Avast.

This is why I have posted on BC, a very reputable and dedicated Forum that does help people and has no self interests, just independent expertise and most of all - solid user experiences.

If anybody can find the answer to my quest on any AVG material, I will probably become a Buddhist Monk and retreat to a mountain refuge in the Himalayas, but will be forever in their debt.

The best thing for you to do is ditch AVG and use something else. You will never get a satisfying answer from them. AVG is a product that a lot of us used ten years ago. It started to deteriorate five years ago and seems to get worse every year. A lot of users have switched to Avast or MSE or something else. And the worst part is AVG doesn't acknowledge that their product stinks. So unless you are a self masochist, get rid of AVG.

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

@ Frankp316

Hello Frank,

Your  comments line up with a number of other posters, not only on this Forum.

Mind you, it is a bit traumatic. I regard pain as a kind of Acupuncture type of therapy to take my mind off all the bills and taxes I have to pay and AVG has a perfect recipe.

But most of all, I am waiting for the solitary other BC member who uses AVG, to spot this thread and tell me the answer to my question.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 July 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

As I've said before, lack of adequate customer support is just another reason (among many) I no longer recommend AVG.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well, one of my computers uses AVG (I plan to change it, just need to make sure we are not paying for it yearly), but it never really does much. I believe heal is AVG's attempt to remove the "virus" from the file, this may not work if the file is badly "infected". I'm not sure if I can draw a parallel between other anti-viruses, but hopefully you get what I mean. You can also delete the "infected" files, or send them to a virus chest/vault meaning they are neutralised. If you wonder why I use a lot of " is because AVG can be prone to false-positives rather more than other anti-viruses. Avast! or MSE are two very good free anti-viruses which you could use instead.

If you have any other questions about AVG (or anything else), feel free to ask. I'm not an expert on AVG mind you though.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

I believe heal is AVG's attempt to remove the "virus" from the file, this may not work if the file is badly "infected".

That is my understanding too. More specifically, heal is an attempt to remove the virus code from within a legitimate file which has been corrupted or infected. If the infected file cannot be healed automatically, it will be moved to the Virus Vault. If the file itself is actually malware, there is nothing to heal.

xXToffeeXx..the folks at AVG don't appear to be experts either.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

That is my understanding too. More specifically, heal is an attempt to remove the virus code from within a legitimate file which has been corrupted or infected. If the infected file cannot be healed automatically, it will be moved to the Virus Vault. If the file itself is actually malware, there is nothing to heal.

xXToffeeXx..the folks at AVG don't appear to be experts either.

Yeah, that's how heal normally works, and how it should work in AVG too.

Just putting it out there :) Of course just because you use a program a lot does not mean you are an expert.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#11 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I am grateful for all your replies and find them constructive and informative.

I know you feel "What the hell is the guy still playing with AVG for after all we have said ?" Well, I suppose it is because as I use Sandboxie to open my browser as standard procedure, an AV program is not too important and becomes rather like excess baggage. Sandboxie is almost water-tight so an AV is just additional security trimming. Sandboxie do recommend to have an AV, it does no harm if it does little good. I do have SpywareBlaster as well.​ 

Actually operating under this prescription, AVG has never given any trouble and has occasionally picked up some threats. I do have to use an unsandboxed browser at times, but not very often.

The reason for this recent AVG tantrum on my part, is the picking up of 80 "infected" driver files out of a total of 92, plus the fact that AVG do not tell you how to treat them when you have got them, simply left in limbo. This was downright ridiculous, but I hope it has now been resolved as explained in my various posts.

So I will be keeping AVG in the  context of my explanation. Without Sandboxie, I would indeed find another more customer friendly AV program as you all kindly suggest.

Edited by yabbadoo, 19 July 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Good on you yabba -

Keep posting those questions to BigAl and the few that "try" to run their answers area :thumbsup:

One day they might decide to give a straight answer to somebody :lol:

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users