Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering large files to USB causes hanging

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 froggyfixit

froggyfixit

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

I am attmepting to transfer a 4 GB iso image from my hdd to a 32GB usb jump drive. It will go fast for the first half or so, then slow and stall. The only way to fix the issue is to unplug the jump drive. I have tried the jump drive in both USB 3 and USB 2 ports. It is formatted as NTFS and it is set for performance in the profiles tab. I have been all over google trying to solve this. System specs and info below. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Motherboard: Asrock FM2 a85x Extreme 6 

Processor: AMD A10 5800k (xboost, but no actual OC)

RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 MHZ 16 GB

Storage: (1) 64 GB Sandisk SSD (OS installed here, roughly 20GB free space at all times)

Storage: (1) 500 GB HDD (Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200 RPM)

The item I am trying to transfer is located on the WD hdd. I have run chkdsk on all drives and found no errors. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Why you formmated your jump frive as NTFS file systems?

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 froggyfixit

froggyfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

It is formatted as ntfs because of a max individual file size of 4gb for fat32. I considered exFAT, but im tenative on that one because of limited support across platforms.

Edited by froggyfixit, 18 July 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#4 froggyfixit

froggyfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

No help to be found here?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Can you try another file closer to 4 gb or more and see if the problem persist of the same source hard drive (WD).

Tekken

#6 froggyfixit

froggyfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

a 3.08 GB file transfers just fine with the jump drive as both fat32 and NTFS. It transfers very slowly, but it transfered successfully. 

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Try highlighting a collective number of files (on WD HD) to come up with more than 4 Gb to transfer onto the USB. Ctrl + A to highlight and right-click to check on Properties - Size.

Tekken

#8 froggyfixit

froggyfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

I copied a few video files totaling 4.51 GB, and those are transferring at about 5MB/s. If it matters, when I try transfering ths single large file, it starts off at a ridiculous speed, like multiple GB/s, then freezes up. It is a usb 2 drive so its not capable of GB/s transfers but I dont know how to fix that. I am guessing it is dumping the file to a cache then the cache is being over written before the jump drive can write it. (I have 16 GB of ram, so that shouldnt be an issue)

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Is it only that specific file that demonstrates the problem, or any file of that size? If it is the specific file, will it copy to the SSD?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 froggyfixit

froggyfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

I tried two different files over 4GB, (both were ISOs) and they do both transfer to the SSD, but still cannot transfer from the SSD to the jump drive. They do transfer on to an external hard drive I have but that is more for disconnected backups for files than ferrying files around. 

Edit: clarification.

Edited by froggyfixit, 18 July 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

That makes suspicion fall on the jump drive - can you try the transfer to any other USB flash drive as a final check?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 froggyfixit

froggyfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

No, I have an 8 GB jump drive that has worked beautifully before, and it stalls as well. I recently switched motherboards, but I did a fresh install of windows and installed the most current drivers and BIOS for it.

Looking at my device manager, the different usb controllers have different driver makers. Some use the third party ones, others are using the windows driver. Could this be an issue? I have gone to each main item (the host controllers, root hubs, XHCI Controller, and the "Standard OpenHCD USB Host controllers) and made sure they were all using the most up to date driver, and it said they all were. 

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Do you have another PC to try the flash drives transfer the same capacity? This would eliminate the usb flash drives as the culprit or on the other hand as the suspect. Currently looking on some softwares installed on your motherboard chipset/utilities like Xfast USB for some known issues as it yields none so far. ASRock Drivers and Utilities.

Tekken

#14 froggyfixit

froggyfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

So, I remembered I had an ubuntu live disc laying around so I threw that in to see if I could transfer the file there, and so far it is transferring, which is telling me it is either a driver or a windows issue. It started very quick, around 40MB/s, but about halfway it was at 10 MB/s, then when it finished was about 7MB/s. Does this help diagnose it?

Edit: I cant spell.

Edited by froggyfixit, 18 July 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Outside windows means there is no problem (atleast also in IMO) so far with WD hard drive to flash drive... correct? Most likely an ASRock driver utility and my suspect is from the USB XFast causing IRQ conflict most likely since its considered a third party driver.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users