Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking external Drives for errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 airtas

airtas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

I was wondering what the best way to make sure your external drive is functioning as it should?

Also, how much damage is done if your drive loses power abruptly?

Also, why would someone want a larger drive that needs an additional power source compared to a portable drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Each disk normally has a manufacturer specific application for health checking, which you should consider before using 3rd party disk analysis software (like CrystalDiskInfo, EASIS etc...)

I have lost large volumes on external disks with sudden power offs, but I knew the disks were unhealthy and reaching the end when that happened. Yes it hurts the disk, avoid it. Always eject HDD's correctly! My life is too short to bother doing that with usb flash memory though.

Portable HDD - high cost, slower speed but don't need external power  VS  Desktop HDD - low cost, higher speed but need external power.

#3 airtas

airtas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Each disk normally has a manufacturer specific application for health checking, which you should consider before using 3rd party disk analysis software (like CrystalDiskInfo, EASIS etc...)

I have lost large volumes on external disks with sudden power offs, but I knew the disks were unhealthy and reaching the end when that happened. Yes it hurts the disk, avoid it. Always eject HDD's correctly! My life is too short to bother doing that with usb flash memory though.

Portable HDD - high cost, slower speed but don't need external power  VS  Desktop HDD - low cost, higher speed but need external power.

Can I run a ChkDSK in windows?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_6795432_run-chkdsk-external-hard-drive.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users