Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posters on a forum are spying on my computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zip1234

zip1234

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

I strongly suspect posters from a certain forum are spying on my computer somehow. They know my prior internet history like things I was looking at on youtube or reading about( a very specific low rate 80's movie).I assume they do not live near me. How is this done and what legal/civil action should I take?

They often make comments about my apartment that only I should know. Please I know you may think I am just paranoid but these people knew what I said in my apartment amoung other things like what is in my apartment. I live with no one currently. I took the battery out of my phones. I don't have a laptop or computer back home. I have had files delete themselves and such.

I noticed one man. Wearing all black. He would always come into the internet cafe at exactly the same time I did. This happened several times. Always he is wearing black. The first time I say him. He was accompanied by 2 other men dressed in black. He types pretty fast has sort of a smug attitute. Others knew that I was doing surveys online. You have some really childish people that want to "punish" people for not kissing thier a--. So f--- them.

thank you for your interrest.

Edited by zip1234, 17 July 2013 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zip1234

zip1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

hello?

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

I honestly think that if you have suspicions like you describe, a forum is unlikely to be the best source of help, you need someone trustworthy to be there on the spot and observe what is happening and investigate directly. It would be difficult to discover any other way if there is anything happening that you could seek investigation from authorities or

take court action over.

However if you use a system like a laptop with inbuilt microphone and webcam, or use these on a desktop system for skype etc, I guess there is a modest possibility an infection could allow access to a snooper. If you wish, I can ask if there's a malware investigator familiar with these possibilities.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 zip1234

zip1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

There is no laptop.

Should I hire someone to investigate this? 

If so how much money can I make off these losers in litigation?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

You have to make the call as to whether you really feel threatened by the situation. I don't think it should be seen as having any potential for financial gain, that just moves into the same territory as ransom malware. The only possible assistance we could offer is to investigate whether there is any sign of a breach of your computer.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Ammiit

Ammiit

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

You said "They know my prior internet history like things I was looking at on youtube or reading about( a very specific low rate 80's movie).". Is your youtube account set to private so no others can see any activity you have on youtube. If not people can see what youtube videos you have liked, favourites and comments you have made on youtube.. assuming they know your youtube account name.

Another idea, cant you message the forum admin or moderator (the forum where you think you are being spied on from) about the situation and get the individuals of suspect blocked from the forum or simply don't use the forum. If this is the only way they contact you.

"They often make comments about my apartment that only I should know." What exactly do you mean? How specific is it. I could make a lot of generic comments about what's normally in peoples apartments that could apply to almost everyone. I have literally no idea how anyone could know what you have said in your apartment unless you have a laptop or computer with microphone (like already mentioned).. 

"Others knew that I was doing surveys online." Do you have any accounts on facebook or the like? Often I get asked to link things I have read to websites I've been on to my facebook account which allows anyone who has me on facebook to see what I have been on, perhaps you accidentally clicked on share without realising. Things like surveys want to be spread across the internet so more people do them so its likely they would have an option on the web page to be passed on through any social sites you use. How much public information do you have about yourself online that the individuals on the forum could know about and access? 

I don't want you to worry, I think it might be people just trying to scare you but nothing serious.. some people are sad like that. It could even be a friend trying to annoy you or have a joke.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

HI

Nothing You do In a Internet Cafe can be considered private. If your only Internet access is in a Internet cafe than that is Your answer. Also You say files are being deleted? Where are these files saved?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users