Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Block Japanese Website Pop-up Ads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 babasher

babasher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:02 AM

Hi all,

My Japanese friend living here in the States accidentally got into an adult website (www.i-milk.tv/) and got a "request to join" pop-up picture ads every ten minutes or so. He cannot delete the pop-up picture, but can drag it to the side and hide it. According to him the website propritor has assigned a user ID for him and they will remove the pop-up only AFTER he pays 3 months membership fee of 39,000 Yen (about $300). He does not want to join.

I tried to help my friend to block the annoying pop-up picture by going to the Internet Exprorer pop-up blocker in the Tool section and set it to the highest level. Then tried to go to the Window XP Internet Options Security section to delete the website through the "advance" feature. All of these to no avail. The pop-up persisted to come up every 10 to 15 minutes. I also ran a complete check of Norton anti-virus and deep scan of Spyware Nuker XT and no problem was found and pop-up picture is still there.

I never experienced this kind of selective add and remove of pop-ups by website proprietor and I thought this is a very sneaky way of selling. Can anyone help on this? Or recommendations on where one can get help to get rid the unwanted and annoying pop-up ads. Thanks,

Babasher

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:19 AM

Well, first off, don't let you friend send these jerks any money. I promise you, you will not get what you pay for.

I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If you follow the instuctions in the Prepatory Guide faithfully then this little bugger might be removed. However, rarely is a computer infected with only one thing.

If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 babasher

babasher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:07 AM

Hi Albert,

Thanks for your suggestion of using the preparation guide methodically finding the virus. In Step 5 of your preparation guide, I used my friend's own Norton anti-virus program (because the Housecall anti-virus took forever to download) to check for the LiveUpdate Virus Definitions. I found a Trojan Horse virus called Trojan.Hachilem had the same website name (i-milk). So I went into the Window registry and deleted the "i-milk" after I temporarily disabled the "System Restore" function. The irritating pop-up is gone and my friend is really happy that he did not have to pay the exorbitant $300 membership fee.

BTW the virus is hidden in the following Window subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This is second time I got help from BleepingComputer.com. The first one was the SpyAxe virus.

Thanks again,

Babasher

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

More info on that trojan can be found HERE. The registry key you speak of contains the list of programs that Windows is told to run at start up. The trojan is probably hiding elsewhere, however without being listed in the Run folder it won't start, and if you ran an fully updated version of Norton it probably has been removed.

Make sure this computer is fully updated as it appears it has become a victim of a drive-by download.

Start > All Programs > Windows Update
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

Yesterday, 07:02 AM Post #1

My Japanese friend living here in the States accidentally got into an adult website (www.i-milk.tv/) and got a "request to join" pop-up picture

Your "friend" "accidently", yea rite... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users