Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bberger2

bberger2

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

My computer won't boot up. I built the PC myself with windows 7 as an OS. I believe the cause was a birus that may have corrupted some of the boot related files. A few weeks ago my home page default changed to delta-search. I got a blue screen of death and my OS would freeze occasionally. Thwn it began only booting in aafe mode. Then it was showing no hard disk detected on attempted boot. Now it just saya A disk read error ocurred. Press ctrlaltdel to restart. I also used a refurbished hard drive so let me know if it sounds more like that has gone bad. If not, please let me know how to fix it or at least what my options are. I don't have a windows 7 disc to boot from but I've put a copy of the trial iso file on my phone, connectable via usb.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hi

Follow the below steps.

:step1: Connect only the original hard drive in which the OS is installed. Remove any other hard disks connected.

:step2:  Replace the HDD data cable.

sata.gif

:step3: Post the full spec of your PC.

Our next steps is to run diagnostics test on the hard drive. To do that knowing the make and model of the disk is necessary.

#3 bberger2

bberger2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hello,

The pc is now hooked up with the single hard drive. I have the following hardware in the pc.

CASE TOPOWER | TP-4107BB-400 RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M
ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $139.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM $69.99
Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive $39.99
DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS%
Windiws 7 OS

It is not even booting now, it simply restarts repeatedly with nothing on the monitor.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hi

It appears like a Master Boot Record corruption to me. It could be happened either due to an improper shutdown or bad sectors in the hard disk. Let us first try rebuilding the boot sector.

:step1: Boot from a Windows 7 install DVD  (only connect the OS HDD )

:step2: When the Install Windows screen appears, Press shift and F10 together to open a command prompt window (shift + F10)

step-%282%29.png

:step3: In the command prompt, enter the following commands one by one.

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

c02191459.gif

Report how the system works in next reply. We should also run a full surface scan to detect bad sectors. To avoid confusion, i will post the steps in next reply.

#5 bberger2

bberger2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi Anshad,

I don't have my boot discs, is there any other way for me to do this?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi

You can use the same commands from a System Repair CD. Please use another working computer to create a system repair disc by reading the below guide.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users