Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network trouble

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 koolbob1872

koolbob1872

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I recently bought a new Dell XPS laptop, and at first it would not connect to my network at all. I reset the router, and set it up for WPA2 instead of WEP like it was before. I changed a few settings and it worked fine. Lately, I have been getting terrible lag spikes, i guess you could say. I play League of Legends and it sometimes will disconnect me and shoot my ping up to nearly 2000. Its usually 85-105. It will also make streaming difficult. There are two or three networks in range, and I use bluetooth. My router only operates on the 2.4 ghz band. I have a Linksys wrt160 and my network card is an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235.

What can I do to fix it? I think it may be just interference, but if I can fix the issue without buying a new router I would rather do that. Its also very sporadic, as in the last two days I've had no trouble, and three days ago it was almost constant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer

The most reliable connection to reduced lags and latency would always be thru wired or ethernet connection. The 2.4 ghz frequency is still common nowadays and still efficient for home network tasks. Potential wireless interferences that works on the same frequency could affect your signal and data bandwith of which some bluetooth devices are recognized to be a part of this problem.

Tekken

#3 koolbob1872

koolbob1872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

So basically I have to get a router to run the other frequency which is 5 ghz i think?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Not likely the case in my opinion as wired if possible should resolve your issue. But things to try first is to check for firmware updates if available for your router including the wireless card driver on manufacturing support site. Turn off bluetooth devices and try going a good spot where distance and interferences is more likely less.

Edited by jhayz, 17 July 2013 - 11:10 PM.

Tekken

#5 koolbob1872

koolbob1872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

Would it make a difference if my android phone gets much better Mbps at the same location?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

You mean bandwith speed... not sure of Mbps/mbps as this refers to the capable data rate speed of a certain device or components (network cards, router, switch) to a network connection. The only time to upgrade to a 2.4 and 5 ghz router is when multiple devices of 2.4 ghz such as laptops and phones and certain newer gadgets both capable with 2.4/ 5 ghz are flooding the same frequency. If there are just about 5 devices or less than 10, then it's not worth the change. The internet speed is what matters most in gaming and video streaming specially when a number of users are sharing the connection. The typical standard speed you may need is 5 to 10 mbps subscription speed but more robust on wired when gaming.

See also http://www.alternativewireless.com/cellular-antennas/wifi-solutions/5ghz-wireless-lan.html

Edited by jhayz, 18 July 2013 - 12:15 AM.

Tekken

#7 koolbob1872

koolbob1872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yeah I can't go wired. My laptop doesn't even have an ethernet port. I never had trouble with my old laptop at all.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

One thing to check though is letting your laptop use the bandwith to isolate the problem. To make sure it is not a distance and interference problem. Sometimes its a bandwith hogging issue on other devices that connects simultaneously in your network not discounting the possibility that a much higher end router would resolve your issue.

Tekken

#9 koolbob1872

koolbob1872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Not sure what you mean by letting my laptop use the bandwidth.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

See if the laptop is not experiencing the same problem when connected alone on the network.

Tekken

#11 koolbob1872

koolbob1872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

I tested it last night and it gave me no problems. So my best bet is to just try not to play games/stream unless I'm the only one using the connection?

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Well that's good news partially since the problem emanates most likely from internet sharing/hogging so it seems you would need a router that can prioritize or setup programs and games as some models have this feature.

Edited by jhayz, 21 July 2013 - 06:17 PM.

Tekken

#13 koolbob1872

koolbob1872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

How do I know if my router can do this?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

See this Manual if this is your exact Linksys model. Check the QOS and Internet Access Priority on page 25.

Tekken

#15 koolbob1872

koolbob1872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

I found the QoS settings but it says something about the ports and I have no idea what any of that actually means. Also I don't know if I mentioned it, but we never had any trouble before I got my new laptop.

Edited by koolbob1872, 23 July 2013 - 08:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users