Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - Firefox/IE icons disappear from html files after running CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 810311

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hello Good People,

After running CCleaner I am experiencing the following issues:

- html files not showing any browser icons

- Internet Explorer got removed and I am not able to download a new IE - it's giving me an error

- when I right click html file "Open with" instead of IE it says "Microsoft Office 2010 Component"

It looks like I deleted something by accident. Any advice is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

In Firefox, go to options, advanced, general. Always check to see if FF is your default browser. Restart FF and make it so.

What is the exact error message when you try to download IE?

#3 810311

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

It worked. Thanks. Unfortunately I am unable to see  IE error message because it goes too fast. IE starts downloading then machine starts to reboot and the message disappears too fast. I noticed on right click drop down menu html file I have "Microsoft Office 2010 Component" instead of IE.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

I presume we are talking about IE8. If so, try uninstalling it from add or remove programs and downloading it with FF from here.

Forgot to mention. If you used the registry cleaner in CCleaner. it usually makes a backup. Re-import the backup. Do this first and see if your problems go away.

You probably have MS office component because you have office installed. To add an entry to open with simply click choose program, etc.

#5 810311

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

You probably have MS office component because you have office installed. To add an entry to open with simply click choose program, etc.

IE8 is working now. Thanks. Yes I have MS Office. Can I remove MS Component option from the drop down list when I right click...? It's not critical though...

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Try this... Go to Folder Options, File Types, In mine it's Firefox HTML Document. Click advanced and under actions, look at the entries, you can view the commands by clicking edit. If any are MS Office, delete it.

EDIT: Also, try this Download ShellMenuView

Edited by .X., 18 July 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#7 810311

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

Try this... Go to Folder Options, File Types, In mine it's Firefox HTML Document. Click advanced and under actions, look at the entries, you can view the commands by clicking edit. If any are MS Office, delete it.

When I go to  Firefox HTML Document  I have only Edit, Print, Open options - I didn't  find any MS Office Component options

I also downloaded ShellMenu view - no luck either, I don't see MS Office Component option in the list.

#8 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Well since I don't have Office installed, I don't know where to go from here. If I could magically look through your registry, I could maybe figure it out.

Sorry

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

<<Internet Explorer got removed...>>

IE cannot be removed from Windows...it can only be ignored or replaced by another browser and/or email client.  It's a basic part of Windows.

Louis

Sounds to me as if your MS Office install is the problem, possibly damaged.  I have Office installed and I've never seen an option to "Office components" anyplace other than Add/Remove Programs.

The "open with" option...presents a list of known programs that may be used to open certain files.  The options refleccted should all be installed programs..

Further investigation reveals this to be a file association problem, see Here.

I would simply uninstall/reinstall Office, then update for any SPs and critical updates.

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#10 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Well technically it can be removed. nLite will do it before installation and XPLite will do it after installation.

#11 810311

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

ok. I will try re-install office. thanks for your help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users