Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 billbuck32

billbuck32

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'm not sure if this is where my situation falls into but I will indicate it anyway.  Every day for at least 8 times I receive a flag message that my Malwarebytes anti malware is outdated and when I click where it says to update now I receive a message in the center of my screen that states I have the latest version of Malwarebytes.  Why doesn't this stop getting the outdated message?

Mod Edit: moved to  AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods              

~~boopme

Edited by boopme, 17 July 2013 - 03:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello billbuck, and Welcome -

Can you open the Malwarebytes program, click on the Update Tab and post the version you have listed.

A quick check lists  mine at Datadase Version v2013.07.17.08 at the time of writing -

If your Version / Update is not the same (or very similar), can you please follow the directions in This Post very carefully, as your version may be corrupted in some way.

Also if you can, would you please follow this small program to test your Antivirus and MBAM version.

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm not sure if this is where my situation falls into but I will indicate it anyway.  Every day for at least 8 times I receive a flag message that my Malwarebytes anti malware is outdated and when I click where it says to update now I receive a message in the center of my screen that states I have the latest version of Malwarebytes.  Why doesn't this stop getting the outdated message?

Mod Edit: moved to  AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods              

~~boopme

Sometimes, you can get this error message if your MBAM installation is corrupted, but the common causes are that you may be behind some corporate firewall/security appliance that blocks the update server, or your system is infected with malware that blocks the connection. So, if this is a home system, it isn't likely that you have any security software blocking the update. Therefore, I expect a malware infection is the most likely cause. Diagnosis and remediation is above my pay grade per forum rules. You can collect some other opinions, or report this thread and request that it be moved to the Malware Removal thread.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

@ sigrieb -

This is the correct forum area for this type of question, and can be handled here for the moment.

Please read the given answers prior to repeating them -

Thank You -

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

I receive a similar "Malwarebytes is outdated (by so many days) message" on my Windows 7 machine. I usually manually download the update files (rules.exe and database.conf) at work, put them on a usb stick and copy them into the required locations on my home computer. Sometimes I download mbam-rules.exe instead and do the same thing. Malwarebytes doesn't automatically recognize the updated files when I do this and continues to warn me it is outdated until I actually connect to the Internet and allow it to check.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

@ sigrieb -

This is the correct forum area for this type of question, and can be handled here for the moment.

Please read the given answers prior to repeating them -

Thank You -

I wasn't repeating your answer. Actually, I was disagreeing with it. If you read my post again, I think I was clear in saying that I believe instances of MBAM failing to connect to the server are more likely due to malware issues or sometimes firewall issues, (primarily in business environments) than corrupted installations. I hope this clarifies my post.

I don't qualify to do malware removal here, but this certainly fits the pattern of infections that I see in my business. Anyway, I'll be interested in seeing how this works out, and thanks for your feedback, noknojon.

I receive a similar "Malwarebytes is outdated (by so many days) message" on my Windows 7 machine. I usually manually download the update files (rules.exe and database.conf) at work, put them on a usb stick and copy them into the required locations on my home computer. Sometimes I download mbam-rules.exe instead and do the same thing. Malwarebytes doesn't automatically recognize the updated files when I do this and continues to warn me it is outdated until I actually connect to the Internet and allow it to check.

I'm not trying to dig a deeper hole for myself here, but any time an MBAM free version reports that it's out of date, and running the update from within the program reports that the database is up to date, that's a failure to connect to the update server. There are legitimate security reasons why this occurs, but more potentially malicious situations.

Edited by slgrieb, 21 July 2013 - 02:36 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

@ sigrieb

If you read half of my 6,000 odd posts on the MBAM forum, you may find I do know a bit about the program.

My reply was linked to a FAQ area at the forum and asked "can you please follow the directions in This Post very carefully, as your version may be corrupted in some way." - This is always the first step in solving this problem.

The next steps involve conflicts with other installed Security Programs so ask for Security Check program.

If this will not solve the problem we wait for a reply from billbuck and then take any required steps.

Thank You -

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

...that's a failure to connect to the update server.

Yes and that's why I said MBAM continues to warm me it is outdated until I actually connect to the Internet. I do no use an "always on" Internet connection...I control when to connect or not and whether to check the MBAM server. For those with an always on connection, failure to connect to MBAM's update server can happen when the server is busy or if they have an issue with the Internet connection itself via ISP, router, modem, etc. among other reasons.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

MBAM use many world wide servers to supply their Updates / Downloads, so if one is out, it is diverted, and another one is normally used.

The program updates are too heavily stressed at most times, with millions of users (private and company) trying to get hourly automatic updates, or just manual updates every day or week (and the program is updated "on average" up to 10 times every day).

You may also note that if you click on the MBAM site link to Download the program, you will be redirected to one of the many Mirror sites, as the MBAM site has never been able to handle the volume of traffic for many years. This has (at times) caused some of the Mirrors to be hit more than others, and the updates can lag if a Mirror site is down or just not able to keep up with the increased volume.

Many "Generic" error messages can be caused by this problem, and the person may be asked to contact MBAM Forum to solve their specific problem, as the Forum has now expanded to include areas for Company and Personal users.

For this reason the MBAM Forum offers advice, and is where there are posted FAQs, and other company and personal advice can be offered.

As the compay setup is currently under changes, there may be more ways to get Downloads and Updates, and this includes the several new products now in production, or being developed, or purchased, by Marcin and his quickly growing crew of employees.

When you consider that as the company started there were only the main couple of people involved, up to today where the crew even includes sUBs (ComboFix developer) and S!Ri (DDS developer) as Research Engineers.

Doug Swanson (swandog) and Marcin (RubberDucky) with Tom Mercadi (Tmerc) almost ran the company alone with Ron Lewis (AdvancedSetup) as the only fully active forum Administrator.

Just a brief idea of the old and the now rapidly growing setup at MBAM -

Thank You -

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Yes some hard working and dedicated folks who have been around since the early days of assisting with malware removal began on sites like this.

BTW, sUBs actually created DDS as a non-invasive diagnostic tool and replacement for DDS (Deckard's System Scanner) back in 2008. S!Ri was the developer of SmitfraudFix...last updated in 2009 and no longer supported since more effective tools have replaced it.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

OOPS -

Sorry, wrong tool. :blush:

Please note that all links to SmitfraudFix.exe should be avoided as the only live ones left are now compromised.

This is what the makers of infections do when they find a tool that works ......

Another reason that many Malware tools are protected by their makers and they do not discuss them -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users