Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205, Dual Band

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this wlan card. I have a Toshiba A665-S6092 and it came with the realtek rtl8188ce. I switch the wlan and windows doesn't recognize it. So I install the driver and then go to device manager and comes up under network adapters, but when i try to connect to wirelessly it doesn't show any connections at all. it tells me that my wirless is turned off and I turned it on and still nothing. any suggestions? I bought the card on Amazaon and it was advertises as new.

Gracias

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Did you install the Intel WIFI software along with the drivers?  If you did, uninstall it, but leave the drivers. Is the Toshiba WIFI software fighting with the Windows wireless manager?  I went through a  similar pain in the ass adding the Intel WIFI/Bluetooth combo card N6230 to a lappy. 

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Compatibility, the laptop's mini slot or its the mini pci card itself. What happen to the original card installed prior to the replacement? Have you tried using the Realtek mini pci itself found like here http://www.amazon.com/HP-RTL8188CE-Wireless-639967-001-640926-001/dp/B008U5B8B2

Edit: Just found dpunisher has replied so might as well follow the suggestion first. :thumbup2:

Edited by jhayz, 17 July 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Tekken

#4 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

I still have the orignal card, but wanted to get 5 ghz band because I bought me a dual band router. You may be right about compatibility. I put in the card and install the driver and it recognizes it and also I go to intel and it recognizes the card, but I can not turn on wireless at all. Most likely my fault not really searching if mobo is compatible, but windows recognizes it so i'm confused on that.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

I would utilize or take a 2.4/5 Ghz capable USB wireless adapter instead if you would want to take advantage of this technology. More convenient and less hassle in this case. :)

Tekken

#6 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Well I just don't want to carry a USB around with me. @dpunisher yeah I just installed the driver from intel and still doesn't work. I'm here thinking how do I go about finding out if my mobo is compatible with this card.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

I wish I had some advice for you.  For whatever reason (possibly FCC rules) laptop OEMs can "whitelist" network cards.  I bought 3 different NICs for an HP laptop in order to get one that would function with the motherboard.  HP has a "whitelist" of allowed NICs that can be used in their systems, and it won't even boot if a non authorized card is used.

I do not know about your Toshiba.  I cannot find any hard info about BIOS whitelists for your model.  Some say it is present, some say it isn't.  I have read about problems with using 5ghz cards in Toshiba lappys, but no hard facts as to why it wont work.

My advice at this point is to find a parts list for your Toshiba.  It should have a list of cards that were installed, and work with your system.  See if one of those cards meets your needs, and search it on Ebay.

I wish you luck with it.  It seems if it was recognized, it should be able to turn on.  That is one thing I miss on older models, an actual on/off NIC switch with a light confirming the card is on.  If I think of anything useful, I will post back.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Dpunisher thank you I really appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users