Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dying Computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JenHytt

JenHytt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

So my lap top keeps dying on me, and I have no idea why. Its not overheating, and since I know very little about computers I don't have any clue what else could be causing this. Lately it will only stay on for about an hour at the most before it just dies. After it dies I usually have to wait 15-30 minutes before I can turn it back on again. If I don't wait it won't even get to the log in screen before dying again. I'm struggling to do research and write a term paper on it right now, so if anyone could offer some advice (besides tossing it out the window) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:28 AM

Hi JenHytt, welcome to bleeping computer

How did you determine that over heating wasn't your problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

Overheating usually is the problem in the type of problem you describe, although it could be bad caps on the mb or a power supply crapping out.

Download Everest Home, version 1.51 (the last FULL FUNCTION FREEWARE VERSION from oldversion.com and see what it tells you about processor temps, hard drive and motherboard temps.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 April 2006 - 09:38 AM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

I my opinion this is a ooverheating problem. Whatever it is that is heating up is taking the half-hour to cool down. The only way to fix this is to have someone experienced with laptops take the unit apart right after it stops operating to find out which part is overheating. It could be any part int he computer. My suggestion is to have it looked at by a qualified tech. Apparently the part that is overheating is not generating enough heat to warm the case enough to be detected.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

Be sure to check out the power supply voltages, too, using Everest. They should be in these ranges:

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

A note on Everest: I can't seem to get through to oldversion.com. Either the site is currently down, or it's gone. Meanwhile, you can still get Everest 2.20 at MajorGeeks, and it does show temps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users