Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I received an email, I opened it just in case it was important ....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elybeit09

elybeit09

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

I opened an email from a domain I had never seen before embarq mail .com and in front of the @ it read atmcard and a few numbers after that. The subject was "Your ATM Card C..." sort of just like that and on the inside it didnt show anything, no images or anything just said "a surprise for you". Should I be worried it was laced with something hidden? I have sense marked this as spam. I recently did a wipe of my hard drive on my computer, bout 3 days ago due to some weird activity and my virus scanner turning off on its own.

Your ATM Conclusion

Spam

x

profile_mask2.png

ATM CARD <[EMAIL ADDREDD HERE]@embarqmail.com>

3:12 AM (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

to
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
Why is this message in Spam? You clicked "Report spam" for this message.  Learn more

Surprise for you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

It seems suspicious... but, did you get this through IMAP or POP3 mail? or through web based mail

edit: Just checked the link in your copy and paste.. gmail won't carry malicious exes (or any exes that aren't double compressed for that matter, or cache file unless you allow it on the moment, either) so it's all ok... just some crazy spam cr@p.

Edited by TsVk!, 17 July 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

It sounds like you did pick up something nasty but wiping your hard drive should have got rid of it. However, just to be on the safeside, download Malwarebytes from here :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

install and update it, then run a quick scan. This will put your mind at rest if it comes back 'No problems found', and if it does find any problems come back to BC for help on how to clean them up. For the future, remember your bank does know your name and will address e-mails to you personally.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 elybeit09

elybeit09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

I wiped my harddrive BEFORE I got this email, but  its been some time sicne this email and I just now noticed and issue, a friend things I have a BHO now because as I was trying to copy and paste some text, my browser entered a website as I was trying to paste what I had copied (found out it never copied to begin with) and I accidently visited the website which is yo (dot) com 

#5 elybeit09

elybeit09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

also it was web based email

#6 elybeit09

elybeit09
  • Topic Starter