Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Booting Partitions on External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 darkluis12

darkluis12

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have a 1 TB WD external hard drive, and a couple of days ago I was wondering if I can make 3 partitions on the external hard drive. One that boots with windows 7, another that boots with Ubuntu 12.10, and the last partition to be used for just storage and back-ups. 

After a lot of reading and research I downloaded a live CD of Mini Tools Partition Wizard. I made the 5 partitions on my external Hard Drive as follow: 1- 100MB partition for System Reserved   2- 300GB partition for Windows 7 files   3- 148GB partition for Ubuntu 12.10 files   4- 2GB for Swap memory for Ubuntu   5- Around 460GB partition for storage

Then I cloned my original HD which I use on my computer into the first 2 partitions of my external HD. Then I ran an Ubuntu Live CD and installed on the third and forth partitions of my external HD.

1.jpg

When I finished I tried to boot from my external HD and I get an error saying "invalid system disk, replace disk and press enter", I am not sure why I am getting that error but I guess that is because Windows 7 is not meant to be running on an external HD. Does anybody know a fix to this? But anyways, I moved on, I run the Mini Tools Partition Wizard again and I set the System Reserve partition Inactive, and I set the first two partitions to hidden, thinking that doing that the system would try to boot the Ubuntu partition. But when I try to boot from the external hard drive it doesn't do anything. It is like if it is trying to read it but is not finding anything. My boot order is -CD/DVD    -USB HDD    -Local Hard Drive. And when the computer is booting it get stuck after it tries to boot from a CD/DVD.

2.jpg

Any suggestions on how to boot from Ubuntu? Does the first two hidden partition are causing it to get stuck? 

Thanks for your time, patience, and help!!

darkluis12

Edited by darkluis12, 16 July 2013 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darkluis12

darkluis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

If anyone has the same problem as me, I would recommend that you put the Ubuntu partition at first, that way it boots automatically from Ubuntu instead of trying of boot from Windows.

I haven't fix the problem of running a cloned Windows through the external hard drive. But my best suggestion is to install Xen (a virtual machine for Ubuntu) and then run windows from Ubuntu. Or install the portable version of VMware on the hard drive and make a windows virtual machine stored on the hard drive, that way you just plug the external hard drive on a computer an run VMware, however if you don't have admin rights in the computer, it may be better to go through the virtual machine on Ubuntu.

If anybody have other thoughts about the subject please let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users