Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start, storport.sys.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Delamos

Delamos

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Ok, so today I went to restart my computer and when I went to start it, it said windows failed to start. When it failed it said storport.sys was corrupt. I've tried to do start with last known configuration. I've tried to load into safe mode, it gets to loading drivers I believe and fails to start. I've put in a repair disk and tried to do a start up repair, goes through all that restarts and still the same problem. I have also tried to do all the bootrec.exe commands that I know, and SFC /SCANNOW, which told me there is a repair already scheduled and to restart. I restart and nothing, still same thing. Any help on fixing this would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hi Delamos,

Have you done any upgrades recently or made significant changes? Storport,sys refers to storage driver. If  you have done any upgrades try to revert back.

This may resolve your issue. What version of Windows are you running?

#3 Delamos

Delamos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

No updates that I am aware of, I am using windows 7. Is there any way I could revert or go back if my windows won't start? It says system restore has no dates saved to revert to when I try system restore on the repair disk.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

This could or could not be malware. No way to tell without doing scans. It could also be hardware failure.

You could do a clean install as an option with cd/dvd OEM.

Regards......

#5 Delamos

Delamos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

I am able to slave drive that hard drive and access the files on this computer. Is there any way I can go about fixing this issue with the drivers or whatever the problem is while it's slave drived. When it's the main hd, it will just go to windows failed to start or if I put in a repair disk, it doesn't fix the problem with startup repair.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi Delamos,

You said you did all all the bootrec.exe commands you know. Just to verify have you tried bootrec.exe /FixMbr

In response to utilizing slaved drive I would defer to another member who has experience as I do not.

I probably would opt to saving all data and then do a clean install. However, your choice.

Best of Luck

Regards.......................

Edited by sikntired, 17 July 2013 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users