Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinion on Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

I recieved a desktop computer from an aquaintence to repair which in turn wound up having a fried motherboard. They are only really interested in browsing the web and basic applications plus using the system for creating and storing karaoke tracks and cds. The karaoke format is CD-G if helpful. I have sent them a quote for the following upgrades to their system.  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1hmIg I would like a second opinion on the hardware picks and any suggestions are welcome. The lower the cost the better as I don't have much of a budget to work with, about 200 usd max. I assume this upgrade would be good for their computing uses but if anyone can suggest better I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Looks all good, although it would be worth to see if you could get a slightly better motherboard.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Since you are buying a new motherboard...my approach would be to get the best value for my dollars.

I haven't had an Intel processor since 1998 because I believe AMD offers better value...but, looking at the Pas-Mark value ratings reveals that CPU to be second only to AMD's FX 8350...which makes it a good buy, IMO.  Surprising to me, but I'm always surprised even when I expect change.

What's the O/S and where is the money for it?  You won't be able to reinstall Windows from the old system or just plug the existing hard drive into the new board.  Drivers, settings, activation will be different and you need to plan on such.

Depending on the age of the current hard drive...you may want to consider replacing or adding another.  At the minimum, run the manufacturer's diagnostic on it before attempting to install Windows.

I notice that you allocate no money for a new PSU.  I'd rethink that based on the age of the current PSU, I try to anticipate problems and don't mind having spare components for bad times that may lie in the future.

Louis

#4 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

I didn't allocate any funds towards a new PSU because they had already replaced it before bringing it to me. Also, I currently own a set of legitimate Windows OS discs as far as OS goes. They are enterprise versions from my College's IT partnership program with Microsoft. I will take into mind about the HDD but I think it is still in good shape. I was surprised too by the Intel chip but they are paving ahead lately with the new Haswell chips and such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users