Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Browser is freezing in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 julio99

julio99

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I was working in Google Chrome the other day and the whole browser froze to the point of my computer becoming unusable. I am running windows 7 x64. I went into safe mode and got rid of all the extensions. Restarted  my machine and went back in to Chrome. Added the X-Notifier extension for Chrome and it instantly froze again. Went back into safe mode and took it out. Added a couple different extensions to chrome and it would freeze on and off. Put in Firefox and it ran fine. I ran the Chrome browser for 5 years with the X-notifier extension plus other ones and I never had a problem. I scanned ffor Malware with MBAM and ESET Nod 32 AV6 and found nothing. Decided to try a newer version of Chrome with the extension and it still crashed. Tried it with an older version of Chrome and it still froze. I shouldn't say crashed because that would give me some report and I got none. It froze rendering the browser and with that the machine totally unusable. I decided to reformat and see what happened. First thing I did was install Chrome with an extension and tried it and it froze the whole browser again. It works in safe mode and safe with networking as that was the only way of deleting the extension. The machine is still under warranty so I took it in for some memory and disk diagnostics and those came back perfect, so why after all this does this browser not want to give up the ghost and tell me what's wrong. I know you might just say use another browser but that still doesn't fix this problem and I would really like to use Chrome if at all possible. I am just out of ideas on what to do to get this browser to run in Windows 7 x64 properly. By the way I tried creating a new profile and the minute I add an extension, especially this mail checking, X-notifier to Chrome, it freezes the machine. Please help if anyone is familiar with this.

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2013 - 12:21 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hi julio99,

Look here : http://www.thewindowsclub.com/google-chrome-crashing-freezing-windows-computer

Regards........................

#3 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi julio99,

Look here : http://www.thewindowsclub.com/google-chrome-crashing-freezing-windows-computer

Regards........................

It all seems to be because of the X-notifier extension. I have taken that out because it makes it impossible to troubleshoot unless it's not installed. I tried a couple of the things in that article to no use. I will try it out again once that extension and Chrome are updated to different versions or builds. Right now it seems to be ok as long as I don't run that extension.

#4 Dark Seb

Dark Seb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hi there,

FYI, I got the exact same issue with "Checker Plus for Google Calendar" extension for Google Chrome.

Since I applied the latest update on last Sunday, notifications freezes my Win7 64bits in the following seconds after they popup.

Disabling notifications in the extension settings (without disabling the whole extension) is enough to stop the freezes.

I don't know what's the root cause (chrome, extension, Win7, ...), but it's clear this is only about some kind of new desktop notification popup...

Hope this will help the devs to fix that !

#5 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

If I open Gmail, just Gmail the app,not extension it still freezes after a few seconds. I can run other extensions, no problem. I had a post in the Google Chrome forum about this and I browsed by this morning and lo and behold there are quite a few new posts with this same issue. Some are blaming it on Windows update, some are just mad and some don't have a clue. I moved my Gmail to Outlook.com via the forwarding tools in Outlook.com and I put a extension in Chrome called Outlook.com mail checker and it works so far with desktop notifications. I really don't have a clue anymore. I have went through every possible solution other than the HAMMER and I'm at my wits end. I have booted this computer more in the last week than I have since I've owned it. Lol!!!

#6 Epistemic

Epistemic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

This happened to our computers as well.  It seems it only affects Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) PCs.

Here was my remedy that works 90% of the time:

I've actually found the fix.

It required downloading the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool then running this command:
cleanup_tool.exe /q:a /c:"cleanup.exe /p .NET Framework 4 /u"

Then, you have to use SYSTEM RESTORE to restore the PC to either July 10 or
July 12 (where it shows SYSTEM RESTORE: CRITICAL UPDATE).  Then reboot.

Once rebooted, loading Chrome gives a data error asking for the reinstall
of Chrome.  Downloading and reinstalling from google.com/chrome installs
and fixes the problem.

Then the .NET Framework updates and IE 10 cumulative updates and all other
updates can be installed back.

The issue is somewhere wherein CHROME was updated to Version 28.0.1500.72 m
and the timing of these .NET 4 updates (about 12 to 14 of them) and that
critical update.  CHROME MUST be updated to 28.0.1500.72 m BEFORE any of
the updates above.

Thus far, doing the above fixes all PCs that have this issue.

I tried manually uninstalling EACH .NET 4 update, reboot and the freezing
kept happening when CHAT was enabled (it never happens with CHAT off).  I
also just tried running:
cleanup_tool.exe /q:a /c:"cleanup.exe /p .NET Framework 4 /u

rebooted and it still froze.

I had to system restore to either July 10 or 12 (CRITICAL UPDATE) then
reboot, reinstall Chrome, and it no longer froze.  I then applied EACH
update individually (.NET 4) and created a restore point for each one to
troubleshoot.  It no longer froze.  Then I created a restore point before
the IE10 Cumulative update, did the update and it was still stable.

It affects only users using Windows 7 Pro 64 with those aforementioned
updates.

I hope this helps your other users who had this problem.

#7 Epistemic

Epistemic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Oh.  By the way, to make it work without the above fix you have to sign in to your GMAIL account using Firefox or IE and then go to settings and DISABLE CHAT.  It is CHAT making the PC completely freeze.

#8 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Oh.  By the way, to make it work without the above fix you have to sign in to your GMAIL account using Firefox or IE and then go to settings and DISABLE CHAT.  It is CHAT making the PC completely freeze.

Wow, for a second there I thought it was all good. I didn't have a restore point for those days, so I had to go disable chat and that allowed me to use Gmail in Chrome whereas before it crashed when I opened Gmail. I thought great!, then I went for the test that counts for me and I tried to add the extension "X-notifier" which is a multi email account checker. The minute I added it to extensiond it still crashed. I guess that does it for me. Like I said in my earlier posts, I have been able to use Chrome as long as I stayed away from the extension "X-notifier". I have used it for 5 years and never had a problem. So what to do now. Do you think Google will get the message about this and run a patch or something that will fix this without having to jump through hoops. There are going to be a lot of folks who don't have earlier restore points and as I tried just to disable chat didn't fix it all the way for me. If you find any other fixes or info will you PM me please. I really appreciate this.

#9 Epistemic

Epistemic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Checker Plus for GMAIL had to be disabled/deleted in Chrome.  That's how we got Chrome to work with chat.  Although the issue we have with a few computers is that there are NO extensions.  If chat is enabled, Chrome completely freezes the PC.  It only started happening when GMAIL made the transition to Hangouts from the old chat.

#10 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

This whole freezing thing that happened to most of the people that I was working with was caused by the Realtek audio driver. All I had to do was update it and the freezing problem disappeared. The problem for me was I have an Acer laptop and when I updated the Realtek driver the freezing problem went away, but my audio was disappearing intermittently. So I optioned back down to the original Realtek driver and I was expecting the Chrome browser to freeze again but it didn't so it was all good for me.

#11 Epistemic

Epistemic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Yes.  I agree!  Thank you Julio99.  I tested this on a Core i3 PC with NO extensions that was freezing whenever chat was enabled (WIndows 7 Pro 64 bit) and, after I update the Realtek audio drivers, no more freezing.

I reported it to Google as well.  It may be that the new Hangouts/chat is directly addressing the hardware.

I cannot thank you enough.

#12 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yes.  I agree!  Thank you Julio99.  I tested this on a Core i3 PC with NO extensions that was freezing whenever chat was enabled (WIndows 7 Pro 64 bit) and, after I update the Realtek audio drivers, no more freezing.

I reported it to Google as well.  It may be that the new Hangouts/chat is directly addressing the hardware.

I cannot thank you enough.

No problem my friend. Always pass on a fix. This whole freeze thing is still bothering a ton of people by the emails I get from Starring the original problem in Googles Chrome forum. That fix has been in for about 2 weeks now and the emails keep rolling yet the girl that was addressing the fix put it down for everyone loud and clear and yet they still write in. I guess she'll have to find a better way to put it out there in that forum.

#13 Epistemic

Epistemic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

You should post it in a Google Forum for all to see.  That's where they first look.  Thanks.

#14 MoTAV

MoTAV

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hi guys,

I've also an acer laptop

I've also the same problem (freezing PC - using Chrome), for several months

I've read the whole thread and did the Google staff's solution (upgrade realtek)

as well as other solutions found on the net

But it still freezes........ :killcomp:  :killcomp:  :killcomp:  :killcomp:  :killcomp:  :killcomp: 

I don't really know what else I can do to resolve this issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users