Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Desktop not recognizing keyboard/mouse or loading windows desktop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HijackThat

HijackThat

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Problem:

1. press power

2. monitor displays safe mode or normal boot screen (I have no use of keyboard arrow keys in any USB port, so computer automatically chooses normal)

3. the starting windows symbol appears for Windows 7

4. then the background picture appears, but no mouse, no icons, no start bar, just the background picture (again no use of mouse or keyboard in any USB port).

Computer: HP Pavilion p6142p Desktop PC Get

Attached: 2 pictures of inside my computer, the 2nd showing the only item cord (white head) that doesn't seem to be connected to anything and appears to originate from near the power button above the CD drives.

http://i39.tinypic.com/wme4av.jpg (inside computer)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2pze3pu.jpg (free white headed cord)

Edited by HijackThat, 16 July 2013 - 01:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

Are the mouse and keyboard wired or wireless.....is the wireless adapter securely plugged into a USB port if wireless  ?

If wired...unplug them both and reboot......plug them back in......windows will recognize the addition and reinstall them...(hopefully)

If you regain use of the keyboard, hit ctrl alt delete>>task manager> and restart windows explorer by typing { explorer.exe} into 'new task' ....(without the brackets)

let us know if you experience joy.....or otherwise.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

no joy, unfortunately...

noted new symptoms:

1. turned on computer, same thing (safe mode page, windows symbol, then background only <and not even the background I currently was using>)

2. plugged in USB wired keyboard and mouse (no sounds, no icons, no nothing but a windows background picture of a flower)

3. pressed ctrl alt del just to see if anything would happen  >  screen goes blank

4. pressed esc  >  background picture reappears

5. I repeat this several times, and can conclude that the computer is recognizing something of the keyboard

<however>

6. restarted computer, no use of arrow keys during "safe mode" screen, also num/caps/scroll lock keys don't like up keyboard if pressed during the "safe mode" screen.

7. after the windows starting symbol and the strange background appear, num, caps, and scroll lock buttons lite up the keyboard as though selecting caps lock and so on.

Edited by HijackThat, 17 July 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#4 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Is this an internal software issues?

Please Help!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

The keyboard lights flash on and back off during POST when the computer is started, this is normal.

Try pressing F8 immediately after pressing the power button to see if you can boot into the Advanced Boot Options.  If you can try navigating to Safe Mode via the up or down keys, press Enter to choose the option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the response!

Ok, tapped F8 repeatedly after pressing power and nothing new happened.  It went to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen as usual and again no use of arrow keys to select safe mode.  Also, did the same thing with TAB which took me to the BIOS back before this problem.  Again, nothing new happened pressing TAB.  Then after the "starting windows" symbol, screen goes black for awhile then a strange unknown backgound picture of a flower is the only thing my monitor will display. 

Could this be a virus?  I have never experienced computer problem like this in my experience.

#7 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

I need help.. anyone with any ideas?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Since you can't boot into the Advanced Boot Options to use those options you have a couple of options.  If you use a recovery disc or partition it will revert your operating system to the condition it came out of the box.  This means that you will lose all of the data that you added.  The other option is to do a repair installation, this will not effect your data, this is what I would suggest doing.

Windows 7 Forums has a very good tutorial for performing a repair installation which includes a download of a ISO file which you will use to create a repair installation disc.  Please read all of the instructions before starting this, you may benefit from printing the instructions out.

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

Ok, I'll get on it, and get back to you.  Thanks

#10 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well, CD is made, but when it flashes "press any key to start from CD/DVD" I don't have that option, just like I don't have the option of using the arrow keys to start from safe mode, the computer does not recognize my keyboard until after windows starts and the strange background is present, and even at that point the only reason I know the keyboard is being recognized is because ctrl alt del makes the screen go black and caps lock/num lock/scroll lock light up if pressed which is not the case during startup.

#11 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

anymore help out there?

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Have you tried a PS2 connection for either mouse or keyboard ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users