Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sweetpack virus

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 trekie1866

trekie1866

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I just bought a computer a month ago and i think i have a virus on it. I took it in to the geek squad and they found i have sweet pack which is a newer virus people have been finding. so i did a system restore, and sweetpacks is gone but when im on firefox behind the page there are "webpage can not be shown" messages. also on youtube there are several ads on the side that according to geek squad should not be there. would really like help in removing whatever is on my computer wthout having to pay 130 dollars at best buy.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sweetpacks is a bundle of applications which uses emoticons and animations for online chat, messaging and communication. Sweetpacks is used by ad networks, media publishers and websites as a way to recoupe business costs. The bundle includes a toolbar/add-on (SweetIM) for messenger programs which adds animations, emoticons, offers Videos, games and pictures. It is not a virus but it does change your browser's homepage and search engine.

Many toolbars, Add-ons, and browser extensions come bundled with other software (often without the knowledge of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware and browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine. Even if advised of a toolbar, many folks do not know that it is optional and not necessary to install in order to operate the program.

The vendor provides these removal instructions which also include changing browser settings (homepage and search) back to default.

If those steps did not help, then download and run AdwCleaner (follow these instructions) and the Junkware Removal Tool. These tools will look for known adware, junkware, toolbars, and browser helper objects. Keep in mind that some legitimate toolbars may also be detected and deleted so you may need to reinstall them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 trekie1866

trekie1866
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

ok IM almost possitive that sweetpack is gone but my computer is still a lil slow and youtube is running very slow and im not sure if its adobe because that is what i think gave me the malware crap in the first place.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Did you run AdwCleaner and JRT? If not, please do so.

#5 trekie1866

trekie1866
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

i did run adw what is the jrt?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

That's the Junkware Removal Tool from post 2.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 trekie1866

trekie1866
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

ok swetpacks is gone i  ran the scans but the internet is very slow still and im not sure if i have something still on my computer youtube is almost imposible.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

What security scans have you performed on your own (i.e. anti-virus, anti-malware tools)?

#9 trekie1866

trekie1866
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

i ran Super anti spyware and malware ntimalware from this site.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • If using Mozilla Firefox, you will be prompted to download and use the ESET Smart Installer. Just double-click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to install.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer/Firefox as Administrator.
    To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
    • Click the green esetOnline.png button.
    • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
    • Check esetAcceptTerms.png.
    • Click the esetStart.png button.
    • Accept any security warnings from your browser and allow the download/installation of any require files.
    • Under scan settings, check esetScanArchives.png and check Remove found threats
    • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
      • Scan potentially unwanted applications
      • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
      • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
    • Click the Start button.
    • ESET will install itself, download virus signature database updates, and begin scanning your computer.
    • The scan can take some time to complete...close all programs and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running.
      If given the option (when threats are found), choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.
    • When the scan completes, push esetListThreats.png
    • Push esetExport.png, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
    • Push the esetBack.png button, then Finish.
    • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply. If no threats are found, there is no option to create a log.
    Note: If you recognize any of the detections as legitimate programs, it's possible they are "false positives" and you can ignore them or get a second opinion if you're not sure. Eset's detection rate is high and can include legitimate files which it considers suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case.

#11 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hello, I have the same problem. SweetPack has HiJacked all of my Browsers!! I have tried all of their Uninstall instructions and that has not worked! It keeps showing up and changing my search pages, home pages, etc...   It self installed even though I had not checked the box to install the program or I had checked the box to not install the program!

Should I start a new Post?

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hello, I have the same problem. ...
Should I start a new Post?

Yes