Thank you for the reply.
1. I tried it and when I restarted it still didn't show up in "My Computer".
2. Beneath "Diagnose and fix the problem automatically" I clicked on "run now" in the Microsoft Fix it box, but a window opened up that had:
Microsoft Fix it
Additional software is required to run this troubleshooter
- .NET Framework 2.0 or a later version (required)
1.Please install the software from the Microsoft Download Center.
2. Then, visit http://www.microsoft.com/fixit to restart the troubleshooter.
But when I clicked on the link (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19), the page had "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."
I'm really interested in continuing with this method, but do you know which specific .NET Framework I should install and where to download it?
I also read the "Let me fix it myself" method, but I am a little hesitant to modify the registry myself, so I would rather go through the other options first.
3. Before I run "Restore Missing CD Drive patch", I just want to make sure that the program is totally safe, so can/will it hurt the computer at all?
4. Neither ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel) nor ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel) were there, but there were two Primary IDE Channel. Is that the same thing?
One other piece of information: when I click on the drive's properties, the device status has:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
if that matters at all.