Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Shows Snow, Then Goes Black

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have an HP Pavillion, older desktop on XP SP3 and have noticed the same thing - mine started in the last two weeks and only occurs occasionally.  I will pay more attention: I wondered if the display screen was dying but now do not think it is the case.  We must have a new bug. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and keep it updated. Windows recently had a big update for my machine.

Moderators, could you please edit this topic?   My second post is senseless, and the problem has escalated so it needs a new title. The problem statement doesn't need the first post either since it's out of context (from another case)... Thank you, or let me know how I should handle. <<Toffee>> thought it was a hardware issue, based on our topic 525690/malware-trojans-popups-lost-updates-win-xp-sp3
Mod Edit:  Changed topic title, deleted post, merged 2 other posts for continuity - Hamluis.

""HP Pavillion desktop unable to boot:successfully - Monitor shows snowy bytes or logos then goes black"

My HP Pavillion D4100Y Intel Pentium desktop PC running Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 32-bit crashed during a session when I had several programs open. It only has 1 gig of RAM spread over 2 of the 4 available slots.  It crashed to the BlackSOD, and has not been able to reboot all the way to Windows. I have used various input attempts using a boot disk I made for my other desktop (same OS, a gateway "E"), a disk for XP SP2 that microsoft sent me, and the recovery disks made by the friend who gave me the machine; along with some function key attempts..

Currently, when the HP begins to boot, I see the "Hewlitt Packard" logo with snow (like a TV with a bad antenna) for a few seconds, then I see Windows XP logo with snow for a few seconds, and then the black screen of death.

Prior to the crash, I was getting a popup saying "Screen Resolution  Press 1 to adjust  Press 2 to cancel". It usually popped up during a tour to Safe Mode. I think there was another case on this, and I posted a reply hence the first post.  I would ignore it and it went away. This PC had been in a closet for some years, and I got it at Win XP with Service Pack 1.  It updated to SP2 easily, but I was trying to upgrade to SP3 during the time Microsoft was having bugs that prevented the upgrade.  I don't know how (persistence and luck?) but I got it to run SP3 just before MS published instructions on how to do it.  By that time, all I could remember were the problems, not how it finally loaded, so I ignored the real instructions and continued to use it until it crashed..

This HP PC has a larger screen (ViewSonic) than my other PC so I swapped monitors with the E.  Most unexpectedly, the monitor displayed that same funny message about "Screen Resolution".on the E-machine as was displaying when the HP was working; so I thought it might be a problem in the monitor and moved it back.  I cannot recall if I let it continue to boot but for some reason I decided it was not dead since it displayed the "Resolution Notice" perfectly.  I moved it back to the HP.in case the monitor itself was causing the problem and I certainly cannot afford to lose both machines right now.

The View Sonic monitor appears to have speakers in it and buttons but its former owner said I needed to hook up external speakers which I did.  The model is VG2030wm energy star. I can look at my previous cases to see if I have a good report of this machine's internals.

I have tried many things to boot the HP and and noticed that the hard drive light does blink, the USB ports and DVD/CD drive do spin and light up. I've used a Flash Drive with a very cool repair program that someone at Bleeping suggested and it solved another problem but not on the HP in its current state.  I have noticed that, however, the boot sequence has gotten  further along by leaving the various program disks in it and letting it run for hours.  The first screen outputs after the crash were just a page of bytes (8 alpha numeric characters then a space then another set of 8 characters, all meaningless (to me), in rows that filled the screen, and snowy. The snow is on all the outputs except the 'Screen Resolution" notice.

Gradually on restarts with various inputs,  I began to see the Gateway logo for a few seconds with snow, and now it goes from Gateway to Windows logo with snow and then goes black.  The Box sometimes continues to be working; usually unplugged from the router but sometimes with internet access. I do see the light I think is from the hard drive, so it looks like it is being accessed.

As an aside,  I have an external hard drive hooked up to the "E" for backup that uses a USB port.  

Thank you so much, Bleepers!  You run a very fine organization ~ 

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2014 - 06:58 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

this sounds like the onboard graphics or graphics card is causing the issue, the driver are not loading at all. Do you have access to a PCIe graphics card to try? Im also assuming the computer still runs but no screen comes up once it loads the kernel?

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Please check this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02217843&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=500981#N69

Expand either option in blue lettering that best applies to your situation.

No.1

Screen remains blank and does not display the HP logo screen

or

No.2

Screen briefly displays the HP Logo Screen

Try either option and report back the results.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 June 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Thank you both for your replies.  :thumbup2:

Johnny, I don't think so.  I'm not that hardware-savvy... the most I can do is cable and I've installed memory once before. But that's it. I still have my first pc, built by an early technician, and it runs Win 98.  I have the boxes but doubt I have an extra graphics card...maybe my friend bought a cheapie and that is why the monitor's speakers never have worked.  I know the monitor "works" as I plugged it into my other PC... Thank you for this new neural pathway: Monitors & Graphics Cards...

Mr. Bruce 1959, your cat is beautiful. I have one too, cats are wonderful pets  B) 

I went to the link Mr. Bruce provided, and yes the monitor briefly displays the HP logo,so I tapped F8 and it went directly to a black screen with white characters... as I was writing this response, I realized I had two mouses plugged in and removed both. I got the familiar  "Change the display resolution notice" came up.  It's options seem to be information only, something like: 1."for best results change resolution to 1680 x 1050"  and 2. disable the message.  There does not seem to be an option to change the resolution on that message, and I didn't want to disable the message because maybe it would be useful???

Tapping F8 without the mouses got the PC further into the boot mode HP briefly then Windows/Microsoft then a new messy screen that could have been the safe mode, more clearly displaying "Windows" in the background of all the "noise" or snow...

On the link Mr. Bruce provided, it gives me directions to reset to the original BIOS settings even with a non-working monitor at 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02217843&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=500981#N69

I did not think you'd want to see all the steps here, but should I try to " reset the BIOS back to its default configuration"?

Thank you all for your help.  I did not want to try to reset the BIOS without your approval...The machine is now briefly showing snow/noise  HP Logo, then Windows, then black.  I did not ever pay attention to that popup message about changing the resolution settings, because the monitor always had a great display, but now, that message is the only thing it does display, and only for a few seconds, and I do not think it is offering to change the settings for me. 

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

We can try that.

I am going to post information here from Hewlett Packard's web site containing directions to be followed. Credit goes to HP.com and a link provided below is to the author's original web based content.

1. Turn off the computer, and then remove the power cord.

2. With the power cord disconnected, press and hold the power button for five seconds.

3. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the computer.

4. Repeatedly press the F10 key about once every second for five seconds after turning the computer on.

5. Wait five seconds.

6. Press the F5 key. This restores the default settings of the BIOS.

7. Press the Enter key. This accepts the changes.

8. Press the F10 key. This opens the Save and Exit window.

9. Press the Enter key. This saves the changes, exits the BIOS, and then the computer restarts.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Well.... I did follow those steps, and although still snowy, the Recovery system started. So I let it rip.  The machine went into recovery, copying files. when it finished,  I hit the restart button (monitor still snowy but a bit more readable.  I got the "Screen Resolution Notice" again..  The monitor is now displaying a Windows XP page with different kind of interference. After a few moments, it went to black.  Now I have words over a blue screen, saying something about hardware and device driver.  i'm going to restart it plugged into the modem, in case it goes online to search for a driver. Wow what a light show, it is blue with white letters and pink bars of interference.

Thank you

Also - I have a working tablet (finally working), I wonder if I could download the latest driver for this monitor as a file, and then USB it to the HP PC?

Also - working through the steps to reset the BIOS, the monitor displays "No Signal" in a blue box when I turn the power back on.

I will research drivers for my monitor.  

Edited by JoanneMT, 04 June 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

I have a working tablet (finally working), I wonder if I could download the latest driver for this monitor as a file, and then USB it to the HP PC?

In order for this to work, you'd have to be fully loaded into Windows and be able to see what is displayed on the screen.

Is there a possibility that you could get snap shots of the monitor during the different phases of what you are seeing on the screen? BC allows you the ability to upload images and attach them to your post. I would like to see what you are seeing on your screen.

Bruce.

#8 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

Hi Bruce, thank you for the information.  I DO have another PC, same OS that is working. with r/w drives and some flash drives (none are empty, however...

I'd love to show you the screens. I have taken pictures of them, but in the past have had much difficulty attaching pictures to my posts. They were always too big.jpeg files.  

the pictures are on my iphone.  The pc is now cycling through a reboot process ending with a "No Signal" popup on a black screen then black.  The pics came out well (amazingly) - it has recycled 3 times while i'm typing this.  So I've plugged it into the modem to see if it will search online.

On the first HP display, I can almost see the words "Escape" and "Setup" and others but the snow is in the way.  I could send the pics to your Iphone or put it on an extra page on facebook or,  I recall using an app from Bleeping that created a file online.  Please advise, and thank you so much for your interest!

I did manage to get a pic of the "Resolution Notice" and I also hit Escape during the HP display, it took me to a completely different image snowy with orange boxes across, but no letters that I can read. 

PS: It might even be better if I took a movie of this light show... It's only about a minute or so... let me know. 

PPS:  hardwaredata.org  (no http or www) appears to have great info on monitors and drivers and discusses automated driver updating, but someone used one of those on this machine and it created a nightmare...

Edited by JoanneMT, 04 June 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Can you move the pictures off of your Iphone and on to the working computer? You can use a USB cable if your phone has the charger which has a detachable USB cable. Pluging the cable into the USB port should allow your phone to show up as a storage device under computer management.

From there you can access the folder the images are stored in and transfer them to your computer.

If you wish, I can PM you my email address and you can PM me back letting me know your email address so I won't delete you as a possible malicious sender, you can then email me your images and I will post them to this site for public viewing. 

What I firmly believe is happening here is that your current video card has become defective. I have seen this happen before many, many times, there isn't much you can do about it besides replacing the video card.

The snow you are seeing is called pixilation, the snow is the pixels of your image broken up into little blocks, similar to how digital TV looks sometimes when the images break up.

I may be incorrect about your hardware arrangement inside your computer case, but I tend to believe your graphics card is an add on video card. This means it is placed in a slot and locked into place with either a chassis hold down bracket or a lone screw. This type of video card can be replaced very easily with a new or used video card. Chances are, your's is either AGP or PCI-e, but if the tower is old enough, it could be ISA, but I doubt it is that old to have one of those.

Replacing a video card is not that hard at all and there are tutorials and graphic images that explain how to do it. Often, new video cards come with an instruction manual with images showing how to install a new video card.

Mind you, if a video card is defective, there really isn't any cost effective way to repair them. It would cost 5 times the price of a new warrantied video card if a repair was ever attempted.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 June 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Okay, I have received four images from JoanneMT in my email showing her desktop at various stages of graphic errors and I am posting them here for others to view since these original images were too large for the forum board size allowance, I edited them down to smaller image size. They also include statements that JoanneMT made about each one.

(Images below can be enlarged by clicking on each one)

First image shows the HP logo screen:

01-video.png 

Joanne says:

These are what I refer to as "Bytes of Data"

02-video.png

The Windows Background Below

03-video.png

JoanneMT says:

Resolution Notice I see from this monitor even when it is plugged into my other PC - but on the other PC it is on a black screen, just as it displayed many times, usually when I was going to Safe Mode, before the monitor "died":

04-video.png

I personally believe the video card is defective and needs to be replaced.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 June 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#11 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Bruce, thank you for the work you did to re-size and post these images.  Has anyone seen that "Resolution Notice" or is that why you, Mr.Bruce, think the video card failed.  Maybe I should research drivers for the VG2030 and download one for the "E" machine and use the larger monitor there (here)?.  If no one else has a suggestion, then I thank you all for your attention and time to help me.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hello, This web site may help you understand what is most likely happening with your video card.

If you click the link below, scroll down the page and look at the various images on it, you'll see a few that might look a lot like the screen issues you are seeing on your screen.

Reading through the documentation on that page will help explain to you what is happening and what the cause could be.

Please take some time to read that information.

Link: http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

Bruce.

#13 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Thank you again, Bruce  B)  I will indeed study that link.  You are very kindly anticipating my curiosity and hopes that I can get out of this mess going forward.

I am also looking at

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527392/with-xp-ending-what-are-your-alternatives/

since I have no spare change to keep me online.  The HP has been so much trouble, maybe it will benefit from a new OS.

And since my gateway (E) is still working, I should take this time to make the boot disk mentioned in the alternative OS paper.

BleepingComputer is a valuable resource. Thank you for being here.

Joanne  :bike:

PS: I did a search on "Resolution Notice" and did I see lots of results!!! Have only read a few so far, but am seeing the "HP" reference... I'll post back if I get any real info: Microsoft is asking for a "better description" of this popup.  

Edited by JoanneMT, 06 June 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

BleepingComputer is a valuable resource. Thank you for being here.

It is people like your self who help to make this site what it is today. :thumbup2:

Keep me posted.

Bruce.

#15 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

this sounds like the onboard graphics or graphics card is causing the issue, the driver are not loading at all. Do you have access to a PCIe graphics card to try? Im also assuming the computer still runs but no screen comes up once it loads the kernel?

What is this hardware, and how can I get it?  

I also plan to make an UNBUTU boot disk to try to get the HP working again..  SOmething is wrong with the monitor although it works, I wonder if that Resolution Notice is some kind of malware that attacks it. 

Thanks for any ideas,

Joanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users