Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My gaming computer is suffering from random hanging issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CentiZen

CentiZen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi there BC, long time listener, first time caller. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers, but I have been stumped by an issue I am having with my personal gaming PC.   

About a month ago, I upgraded my machine quite significantly. I had an AMD setup with one of their quad core chips and a decent motherboard. I replaced that with a higher end Asus motherboard with a core i7-3770. I kept the same RAM and power supply, and simply used the stock heatsink. There is no overclocking.  

I also replaced a Radeon 6780 with a 7870. The hard drive is an Intel SSD.   For the most part this machine runs like a dream. I'm getting great performance out of it and I'm very happy with the quality of games it can play now. However, there is a really weird issue that is happening. My computer will randomly enter a "hang" situation, where the images on the screen freeze up and the whole computer becomes unresponsive. This almost never happens when I am actually using the computer, in fact I've only witnessed a hang once - the first time it happened. All other times I simply come back to a computer that is stuck in the mud.   

Event viewer offers no information related to what went on prior to the crash to invoke that situation. All I get are boilerplate "unexpected shutdown" errors.    I'm wondering if anyone might be have an idea as to what is happening here. Or if anyone knows of any tests I could perform on my hardware to check it. If you guys need any more information just let me know.   

Thanks,  
     Michael     

Edited by CentiZen, 16 July 2013 - 12:10 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware per OP request - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hello,

You might want to go here and look around, ask questions; "http://rog.asus.com/forum/"

ASUS MB are usually great but the BIOS tends to need fixes/updates quite often. Look for the latest BIOS release and see if your issue is known/covered. I've had to update in the past for strange things happening myself.

I also had to return an SSD and get another model after researching what was known to work well with ASUS. Not all SSD play nice with all systems, sadly. The "Kingston HyperX" works well with ASUS in my experiance. You might also be able to find a SSD/HDD firmware flash that resplves the issue. I found out a while back that the 500GB hybrid HDD shipped with an ASUS laptop I use had an issue that would cause it to hang and run poorly. It was already a knonw issue so I was able to read up on it and flash the firmware fix and it's been fine ever since.

As you're tech savay start here and see if that points you in the right direction.

Regards,

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users