Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010-error with hyperlinks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hewhite

hewhite

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

We recently updated some office computers from XP to Windows 7.  Office 2010 was reinstalled and everything works fine, except that hyperlinks in Outlook won't go to the browser.  When I click on a hyperlink, I get " This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator."  I'm the one with administrator rights.  I know I've overlooked something in the setup somewhere but can't figure it out.  This is only an issue in Outlook.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I'm sorry, it's Office 2007, not that there's much difference.

Edited by hewhite, 16 July 2013 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

The last time I dealt with this problem it was because Google Chrome had become installed, and was set to the default web browser, which alters the registry keys that Microsoft Office uses to determine what to do when you click a hyperlink in Outlook - I don't know if it's a bug, but if Outlook doesn't see Internet Explorer in these locations, it refuses to open the hyperlink.

You could try to set Internet Explorer to your default browser again (even if you didn't know it wasn't) - but that doesn't always work - you may need to uninstall the alternate web browser, and then go into the registry to manually fix the keys. 

You can use the steps at this site to fix the registry entries - obviously when working with the registry you may want to may a restore point prior to starting, and of course backup the registry before making changes.

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/

#3 hewhite

hewhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Sounds like what probably happened.  I'm out of the office today but I will try this on Monday.  I'm pretty sure this is going to work.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks.

#4 live_pc_expert

live_pc_expert

• Banned
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

01. When you click a hyperlink in Microsoft Outlook, you receive one of the
following error messages, depending on your Outlook version:
a. This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions
in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.
b. Your organization's policies are preventing us from
completing this action for you. For more info, please contact your help
desk.

02. You can try the solution from - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049
03. You can also try with -
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/

#5 hewhite

hewhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the assist.  That solved my problem.  I knew it had to be something simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users