Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble removing windows 7 from boot menu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FFIBrandon

FFIBrandon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

I inherited a tricky situation (I think its tricky at least).  The guy who I replaced at work loaded a windows 7 OS on a partition adding it to a XP OS.  The problem is it was never set up correctly.  I removed the partition containing windows 7 (on a second hard drive) but I can't remove the boot option. 

This is my boot.ini

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

There is no mention of an OS besides XP.  How do I fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2013 - 08:09 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

A few words of explanation....then a try at a solution.

When Win 7 or Vista is installed as a multi-boot when XP is already installed...the XP boot files are overridden by the Vista/Win7 bootloader.

Since you can obviously boot into XP....I guess that I don't see what you think is a problem.  The bootfiles were obviously saved on the XP drive, rather than the Win 7 drive.

If by "boot option" you mean that you are presented with the choice of XP versus Win 7 when the system first boots...that's because the Win 7 boot files now rule.  Boot.ini is of no importance in your current boot situation.

If you want to eliminate the Win 7 bootloarder and the dual-boot option...the simple answer is to do a repair install of XP.  This will eliminate the Win 7 bootloader for sure.

Some might suggest trying to use the XP Repair Console and some of those commands...I say, forget that.  Nothing in the XP RC is designed to deal with the fact that the boot.ini has been replaced by the Vista/Win 7 bootloader and I suspect that trying those commands on your current boot files will simply send you back to the repair install effort I previously mentioned.

I've gone through this scenario :).

Ordinarily, I would say just install EasyBCD and use it to modify the files...but EasyBCD requires recognition of a Win 7 install, which you have deleted already.

I see only one possible solution for you, but my perspective is not necessarily the only one that could have merit.

Louis

#3 FFIBrandon

FFIBrandon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Louis thanks for the reply.  Running XP repair will cause me to have to reinstall everything... correct?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Running a repair install with appropriate MS Genuine XP CD...has never resulted in any loss of data for me, other than the fact that I had to reinstall critical updates, since the O/S reverts back (because all system files are replaced).

All programs, drivers, and data files remain unchanged.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Since this topic is not about Win 7 at all but really about XP, I am moving topic to XP forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users