Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

open source weather logging software?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

Hi guys...

I'm doing a project for my company and am in the process of building weather logging instruments. Using something like Beagleboard or Pi I'm going to attach sensors, and then get the workshop to custom make cases for me.... My distro of preference is Debian, but I'd happily do a bit of groundwork to get these things going.

Anyone ever done anything like this? know a software ideal for it? I've been digging around a bit but only come up with free laboratory software that kind of fits my needs. the problem being is it (the software) measures too much too often and would make it high maintenance for recording/interpreting the data over a period of months...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

And there I was thinking that you only had 'The Wet' and 'The Dry' in the Police State !

What sort of data are you trying to record ?  You say the software you have found 'measures too much, too often'. Is it not possible to change the sampling rate used by the software or can't you access the code ?  I did something roughly similar once a few years ago - it was necessary to get an output to change state once every 20 minutes or so and the 555 ic was the timer of choice. Components for it to clock at that sort of rate were unduly physically large and gave too high errors, so I finished up clocking it at something like 20kHz - a nice cheap small capacitor - and using a divide by ic to get the rate of output change I wanted. Just thoughts.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'm in 'the wet' here...

What I'm trying to measure is UV, lumens, temp and humidity... For accurate estimations on crop growth. (sugarcane)

I wish that lab software was open source, all my problems would be over. Have found a new open source hardware project called Sensorcape for Beagleboard Black. But as it has just been released in the last month there is no code to go with it. Soooo... I'm going to have to write it or mish&mash other bits until it works. 

Ho hum.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

SensorCape Software Library In addition to designing the hardware, I wanted to provide a software library that would allow users of the SensorCape to easily interact with the various sensors on the board. I believe that one of the greatest assets of the Arduino environment is the incredible amount of libraries the community has provided, I hope that the BeagleBone community can meet that demand in the same way. The software project is underway and is hosted at this repository on GitHub. The SensorCape library will eventually support both C and Python, with initial development focused on C. The intent is to finish developing the C library and to add a Python wrapper afterwards.

I don't know if you saw this, but it sounds as though there is some code already written, at the least it might save you some work.

I just realised that the quote above also referenced the Arduino project which is designed for interfacing computers with the real world. A very quick look suggests that they already have a fairly large open source library on sensor projects.

http://www.arduino.cc/

Good luck with this project,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users