Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

folder suddenly disappeared from desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xSoulO

xSoulO

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

I had this folder full of text documents but now it seems to have disappeared. I can't use system restore because i recently erased all the restore points. I've tried using recuva as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

You probably dragged it somewhere by mistake using Windows Explorer. Do a search for it.

My mom does it all the time.

#3 xSoulO

xSoulO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

I've already done that as well

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

When you did the Windows Search for the missing folder, did you select the option to search Hidden folders?  I'm assuming you looked in the Recycle Bin?  I can't think of any reason a folder would just disappear unless it was permanently deleted or accidentally drug to another folder as mentioned by X.  

If you remember the file names of any of the documents within the folder, you could try a Search for the file name.  Maybe you are not remembering the exact name of the folder so a file might be easier to find.

Attached Files

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 xSoulO

xSoulO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:23 AM

Yes, I've done all of that. It's not in the recycle bin and I haven't emptied that in weeks. The folder was still there a few days ago and recuva didn't find it so I'm sure I didn't delete it. The folder was just named np and the files were named other acronyms so they're easy to remember. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Everything Search Engine - http://www.voidtools.com/

WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html

Above tools may be useful.

Louis

#7 xSoulO

xSoulO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

Just tried those. Still can't find the folder or files.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Instead of looking for the folder look into the list of Recent Documents. If there’s a file name in there that should be in the folder you are looking for, see if you can open it

--- If it opens, search it’s properties to find the folder it’s in

Another way is to use your Search function is to look for documents in that folder on a certain day or days in which you know they were there. For example, you can look for word documents by typing in *.doc or whatever extension your word documents use. You will most likely get a pretty long list; arrange the list alphabetically to make it easier for you to find whatever documents are in the folder you cannot find.

--- Naturally you can do the search for a different document style, just choose what makes sense to you

When you use your search function are you selecting All Files and Folders?

--- I’ve seen people use Documents (Word processing, spreadsheet, etc) and for some reason it didn’t work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users